Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
Here's the story, we do buy and hold, but I've got more fixer-uppers than I can handle right now, so I don't want another. But rates won't stay this low. One of my properties is paid off and has appreciated ridiculously, so I'm sitting on a ton of equity. It seems like a smart idea to borrow that out and do something with it. The usual way would be to borrow the downpayment and buy a property with neutral or better cashflow. But like I said, I'm over my head in maintenance as it is.
So how can I put this equity to work? A moron might borrow and invest in stocks. One possibility is to buy one of the high value condos around here. Same price as our multis, but new instead of a century old and a fraction the sinks, toilets, heating systems etc. I'm just not sure they wouldn't be negative. A foreclosure and gut rehab would require that kind of financial muscle, but I don't want to get into that, good contractors are impossible to find. Arbitraging the difference between our rate and hard money rates seems a bad plan. Any great ideas out there?
Investor · Springfield, MA · Member since 2011 · 37 posts · 4 votes
11y
@Johann Jells I would think putting you money in to notes, doing some private lending of your own or with all the upstart REI funds you could put your money there.
Lots of real estate options that are very inactive but still great options for cash heavy (great problem to have =) ) Investors.