Section 8 Question - What constitutes a bedroom?

7 Replies

I'm kinda under a time crunch here so any thoughts would be appreciated. The bank has accepted my offer of $18,000 on a house that is in a rough part of town. After repairs, I will be "all in" for about $23,000.

The problem is one of the bedrooms. It was advertised as a four bedroom house but one of them is an enclosed garage with a door leading out. The section 8 rent I will receive in the area for a four bedroom is about $700 per month but drops to $550 per month if they don't see that as a four bedroom.

I've searched and can't find anything that says what their guidelines are for calling it a bedroom. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks @Rolanda . I'd love to speak with you sometime about the Birmingham market. I moved here from North Alabama and have yet to dip my toes in the water locally.

Yup, must have a closet and at least one window (and of course the basics like heat and electric).  Be very careful with those cheap rentals in a rough part of town in Birmingham.  In my opinion you're better off spending more money for a better area of Birmingham.  I had houses that couldn't get rehabbed fast enough without being vandalized to get them re-rented.  And if you think Section 8 is going to hold the tenants to not trashing your houses, think again.  Had many that trashed mine and then they would just move to the next landlord with no consequences.  Hopefully this helps you in your search for a good rental property.   

There is a minimum size requirement, as well as a window. The closet requirement isn't universal, though it is common. Definitions of what constitutes a closet can vary widely from place to place as well. Definitely lean on other local investors to get your local requirements. It sounds like you've already got one who is ready to point you in the right direction! Part of why I love BP.

Might wanna check, rent seems low, but how many bathrooms? 

I get 625 for a 2/1 house and 792 for a 3/1.5 both sec 8 in B'ham

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here