Day jobs?

2 Replies

Hey guys! Hope everyone is staying warm with these freezing temps we've been experiencing! I know I'm not but that's my line of work! Construction!! 

Just wanted to ask you guys about day jobs vs spending time on your investments. My job allows me to work a "normal day" of 7a-330p which allows some extra time each day to be able to work on projects ( if I had any, still working on #1 ) and the occasional layoff I go through at the end of jobs, which is nice to catch up on stuff I couldn't when working. Anyhow, my question is how many had day jobs before jumping in with both feet into straight investing/ flipping? And how many still work at another job? I assume as with anything else, if you get busy and profitable enough you can make that leap which would be really nice sometime. Guess you could say that is my ultimate goal. My own boss, my own business, a sense of accomplishment, calling the shots and paving the road to my financial future! Ahh its nice to dream isn't it!? Well I want to make this a reality! 

I think almost everyone has to have a day job when they start out.  Very few people have the luxury of being financially independent to start with.

Start investing whenever you get time to do it and things will grow from there.

@Thomas Berridge 

Most people I tend to meet are working full time jobs and doing Real Estate part time (if you can really call it part time). I myself had an apartment I lived in moved out once I started family and kept that as a rental. Then after 18 years I was let go from corporate america and needed to figure something out quickly. So for me I knew Real Estate investing was where I wanted to head to and figuring out how to do it full time was the next steps. I started by developing relationships with hard money and private investors. In addition my lack of construction experience I knew I was going to be outsourcing and finding the right partners.(contractors,electrician,plumbers). It was about building the right team.(still laways working on this) If i had to do it again I would have checked out local REI groups sooner. I believe the South Jersey REI group is close by for you. http://sjreia.org/  It is based in Cherry Hill and I have found the people are really great and share a lot of incredible information, stories, and experiences. There is also a  lot of sub groups to help get you started or point you in the direction you may be interested in.   Hope to see you out at meeting.  If you have any interest  or any other questions feel free to connect and message me. Happy Investing.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.