San Antonio SFR Purchase

10 Replies

Talking with a seller who wants to avoid using a real estate agent, which I don't have a problem with but want to make sure the deal is done according to law.

Is it possible to buy a home in San Antonio without an agent? Would a Title company and a lawyer suffice? The home is only a little over one year old.

I do plan at some point to do a for sale by owner. At that point I will hire either a lawyer or title company (depending on the state) to do all the documents. It will still cost you some money but to me it is important for everything to be done correctly!

I appreciate the feedback but I think I maybe should have said the property is not fully owned by the seller...they have a mortgage.

@Nick Disney

I downloaded the form One To Four Family Residential Contract (Resale) from the TREC website.  Is that the correct form?

@Brian Kennedy  the TREC 1-4 Residential is the correct standard form, yes, and you don't have to be an agent to use that particular form.

Brian, title company can handle the transaction regardless of mortgage or not.

@Brian Kennedy you Just take the contract to your lawyer and he/she will take care that everything is 100% ok

Everyone, thank you for the information.  Sure pays to talk to the experts.

As long as you have the same purchase agreement that all the realtors are using, and a good title company, you should be good. I've purchased quite a few properties with no realtors involved, not required! Just be sure to fill in the purchase agreement properly, and really read through the document so you understand everything in it (contingencies,  deadlines, etc.)

I've helped quite a few people in the San Antonio area who did not want to use realtors and save some money.  Let me know if you'd like an attorney to look over your contract and any other documents.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you