Advice??

11 Replies

So I recently purchased a "home" in Illinois, for me and my family with the VA loan, and I am renting it out until I finish my service which is 1 1/2 years in Salt Lake City, UT. By the end of the year I would like to have either my first flip, or my second buy and hold property under my belt. I have to advise, i do not have funds to support this but I will continue to gather and try anything within reason as necessary. I am just starting out I might add, but I am looking for any advice that would help me. any suggestions?

Thank You BP

You might be on the lookout for a owner financed property.  Until you have some experience as a landlord it will be hard to get a loan for a rental property.  Most army salaries are not conducive to getting multiple loans.

@JerryW. what do you mean owner financed?  Would it be better to go all in wheen I get out in a year?  I would like to get started as soon as possible on the right track to reach my goals. 

Hey Jahmar,

Owner financed is when the person selling the place (current owner) acts as the bank and finances the deal for you. On the plus side you are working with one owner instead of a bank so the financing is a little different but you pay for it with higher down payments and interest rates. 

Here is a listing for a cabin that is offered for owner financing: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33545308&c...

This probably isn't a good investment deal but you can get an idea of how it works.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me!

Since you are moving around, you might want to look into house hacking with a tri or quad plex out in Salt Lake. You should be able to get good terms and a low down payment, even if you have to pay some PMI.

@Jahmar Childs  

You can use the rental income from your property to count towards your income as well, along with the new investment properties income. If the property isn't reflected on your income taxes than 75% of the lease agreements or projected income are used. If they are reflected on your taxes than the net income is used.

@Jerry Padilla  Why wouldn't "the rental income from your property to count towards your income"? 

I understand that it might not prevent @Jahmar Childs from applying for another VA Loan, but under what circumstance would the (net) income not be assessable (presuming it's a positive amount)? Just askin'. [No legal advice given]. Cheers...

@Jahmar Childs  

Quick question, witha year and a half of service left, how were you able to use a VA loan for this deal. To my knowledge the property would have to be your primary residence? With the property i am in the process of buying the bank said they cannot do the VA unless i lived in the house for X amount fo months the year i get the loan.

@Brent Coombs   many people don't realize that there are lenders out there that can count the rental income immediately. Many lenders require a two year history to include the rental income. 

When it comes to counting rental income by the banks I have run into two different scenarios.

1-The bank wants 12-24 months history before counting that income towards my income. This happened when I converted my first town house from my primary residence to an investment property. We bought it on a 0% down VA loan. We had no equity in the property, so we had to gain the history to count income

2- The more common situation that I have, with higher down payments 25-30% the income that the bank expects the property to generate is counted towards my income. Some time after appraisal & during underwriting they add what they expect the property to generate towards my income. Basically, as long as the property meets my cash flow requirements I have satisfied the bank & they allow my debt limit (DTI stays the same) to increase for that purchase. Simply-high down payment, allows it to count during underwriting.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.