minneapolis cash flow

11 Replies

Hello just wondering if anyone is having success finding cash flow properties. I am in the minneapolis area and for the last year its been hard to find anything that would cash flow well. I am not scared of houses that need work. Any info would be helpful. Thanks Dave

@Dave Krage What do you consider "cash flowing well?" Quick numbers on my duplex at the price I would sell it for today would still cash flow 600/month. I assume there are a lot of others in this price range too. 

It has been easier but, yes.  The trick is that you need to do the math and offer no more than what would make sense with your desired cash flow.  Take the"no's" while working toward your "yes's" Obvious, I know.  The difficult thing is finding people willing to give you the discount that you need if the property is in a market that doesn't necessarily support it.  You simply need to find motivated sellers and properties to which you can add value or mitigate losses.  It might require you to look outside the market in which you live, but there are many opportunities out there for those of us who are willing to take the time to do the investigating, number crunching, negotiating, and above all, willing to help someone out of their bad situation.

I'm also having a lot of trouble finding anything that will cash flow; MF, townhouse or SFH. Not a lot of inventory in the lower price ranges for a solid year now. I have seen some, infrequently, on the MLS that would significant work but that's not something I'm comfortable doing from long distance.

I am seeing properties on the MLS that cash flow, but most of them not very well. Most duplexes would be $5k or less a year.

I am feeling your pain Greg. everything that was around 100 is now at least 125 and need work. The only way I can pay a little more is I do all the work. But there is low inventory so everyone is all over them.

Originally posted by @David S. :

I am seeing properties on the MLS that cash flow, but most of them not very well. Most duplexes would be $5k or less a year.

yea. Are you looking in Mpls.

Originally posted by @Dave Krage :
Originally posted by @David S.:

yea. Are you looking in Mpls.

Yes, Minneapolis and the Twin Cities.

It's time to sell your dogs, increase operational efficiency (increase rents, decrease expenses) and bank the cash for the next opportunity, whenever that may be. Hopefully not too long.

Supply has gone down. Things like this are usually cyclical. I'm having to think outside the box to locate anything of value.

Originally posted by @Matthew Berry :

Supply has gone down. Things like this are usually cyclical. I'm having to think outside the box to locate anything of value.

Just found a single family house. Feel pretty lucky.

That's awesome @Dave Krage . How did you come across that deal? MLS, direct mail, etc.?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you