low profit

4 Replies

I own a condo that I used to live in, but now rent out. After two tax increases and a subsequent rent increase, I only profit $18 a month on the property. I'm wondering should I just sell it or should I keep increasing the rent on the current tenant? I would ma j e a pretty nice profit if I sold. It is a one bedroom, one bath on the best street, in one of the most sought after areas in Houston.

Could you use the proceeds from this sale to make one or more purchases in more cash producing assets?

Do you expect increased appreciation in this area in short term?

When did you move out, and do you still qualify for the IRS 250K exclusion on gain?  IE. if you continue to hold for a while will you lose that exclusion?

I would sell it.  Condo's can be a pain.  Wait till the association has a special assessment for you or declares no rental allowed anymore.  Like @Jeff Zamora  states,  take the tax-free gain if you can, or 1031 it into a better investment.  Good job @LaTasha Young !

I think I could get about 25k net out of it. So, yes I might be able to reinvest in a better cash producing property. The only problem is the Houston market is so inflated right now. 

The area has appreciated over 20% in the 5 years that I've owned the property and I honestly don't see it going down. 

I just moved last year, so I will keep that IRS 250k exclusion in mind. 

You to do a lease-option on it.  Have the buyer in place, increase the rent if market allows, then sell it when buyer exercises the option.

@LaTasha Young

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.