Getting an investor for house hacking, possible?

2 Replies

I have found a great investment property. It is going to auction in less than a month. I would give my right arm to live in this house. It is way undervalued and I am sure that as the market goes up in the next couple of years that this property can have a $200K+ ROI. My question is: I can not afford this property unless absolutely no one else shows up! It's appraisal value is $1,233,800 but is worth over $2M. The house next door is valued at $4.7M. I am trying to find out if there are any investors that are willing to purchase at auction, allow me to live there for 2 years, I do all the repairs and updating that it needs, pay rent, and when the market is right then sell for a profit. I have ran the numbers on BP and although it is a loss for approximately 2 years the ROI I think will be a min. of 50% closer to 90% or higher depending on what it goes for at auction. The property will increase in value it is on a lake. Are there any investors that are willing to do something like that?

Regarding "It's appraisal value is $1,233,800..." How did you get the appraisal? How recent? Do you know the owner? What kind of auction? Estate auction? Foreclosure sale? And regarding "... but is worth over $2M." No. It is worth the appraised value.

"I do all the repairs and updating that it needs, pay rent, and when the market is right then sell for a profit." You say you are a renter and buyer in the same sentence.

I'd put the odds of you getting a lender (at arms length, not family) at about zero. Too many red flags from what you've provided.

Originally posted by @Sherry Patterson :

I have found a great investment property.  It is going to auction in less than a month.  I would give my right arm to live in this house.  It is way undervalued ... but is worth over $2M.....  Are there any investors that are willing to do something like that?  

Ok using your value of $2,000,000 are you going to pay the $20,000,00 per month that the property should rent for? (1%)

Or are you only going to pay a bargain rate for the two years of $10,000.00 per month? (0.5%)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here