Laurie K.
  • Maplewood, MN
Votes |
Newer investor - Minnesota

Laurie K.
  • Maplewood, MN
Posted Jun 23 2015, 10:48

Hi, BP,

My husband and I somewhat fell into real estate investing when I was gifted my childhood home from my elderly father. We were living in our town home and quickly realized the benefit of moving into my childhood home, refurbishing many aspects of it while earning some great equity. I need to add that we also own a 2 BR lakeshore cabin in WI. Anyway, we decided to try our hand in becoming a landlord and renting our townhouse. Our refurbishing has been a ton of work but have accomplished much (new plumbing, new electrical, remodeled main bath and added a second bath and BR in lower level, new concrete drive, new decks, etc.). We just signed a one year lease with our town home tenants and we want to grow our portfolio of rental properties to assist in our retirement years. Our question that we get stuck on is, should we sell our cabin and take advantage of our $100k equity and use those funds to purchase two additional townhomes (applying $50k down payment for each), or use the proceeds and put all $100k on one property?  We are truly blessed to be in a positive equity situation but need some guidance.  Thanks

Loading replies...