Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Joey Hansell
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
Family beating the **** out of me for becoming a landlord. What the hell?

Joey Hansell
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Posted Jun 23 2015, 15:32

Hi everyone, I am seeing if anyone else here is struggling to get support from your family for your decision to invest in real estate by becoming a landlord. I would like to acquire many more and quit my job some day soon.

I'm 25 and work as a CPA during the day, no wife/kids. I read up on it for months before finally spending most of my savings (left a big chunk for an emergency fund) on 2 single family homes in town about 2 months ago. I finally got them both fixed up and got them both listed AND rented out this week!!

I was so excited and finally told my parents and my 2 older brothers. I never spoke to them about his because I know they would say "why would you waste all those years becoming a CPA and then throw it all away to do a thing that someone without a degree/designation could do". 

Well I told them last night at a delayed fathers day dinner. They all called me stupid, foolish, wreckless, slum-lord, etc. My mom said she was disappointed that I did this and she expected more out of me. WTF, right?

Loading replies...