What questions should I ask about a septic tank?

3 Replies

The seller likes our offer, and I am going to take a look at the property tomorrow morning. It's four units (a duplex and two SFRs) in an unincorporated area. There are two septic tanks on the property, one of which has FHA certification and the other doesn't. The seller has agreed to pay for a new septic tank that will meet FHA certification. What are the questions I should be asking?

Just replaced ours. My knowledge is limited, but I would want to know:

-Are their county/state regulations, and if so are both septics approved? We had to have ours designed by a licensed engineer, then stamped off by state DNR because previous one did not meet code. Also, are they sized correctly for the number of bedrooms they serve? 

-Check setback requirements. They may be grandfathered in, but we had to be careful to keep it 50' from any foundation, 100' from any well, 200' from any creek I think. That pinned us to a very small area on our property that they would approve

-How is it dispersed? Leach field, lagoon, etc...? We had to have perc tests done on our leach field area. Be sure your field or lagoon is inspected. In our area leach fields seem to last 20 years or so. 

Again, I'm limited in what I know about them, but those would be a couple things that come to mind.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you