Urine smell

5 Replies

Looking to get rid of major odor in house.  Apparantly the animals from the previous owner did such a good job going where ever that it is hard to even walk into the place.  Looking for people that have dealt w/ this before on COAs.  Is it bleach everything and replace floors, is it some kind of chemical cleaning product like SCOE 10x on the floors and walls, ...  I know there are people that I have learned from trial and error the best ways to deal with this.

tear any carpet out, open the windows, paint the affected subfloor and wall areas with Kilz original.  May want to mop some bleach on subfloor first and let it dry out before paint.

Thanks- we have used the Kilz before with good results, just wanted to get other ideas first as I have been warned that this was extreme (ie-hard to breathe).

You will want to open the windows and may also want to wear a ventilator, Kilz will give you a buzz

Smell of urine in a property usually equates to the smell of money.  However, bleach is a great start, and there is something specific sold at Home Depot/Lowe's etc just to combat that.  After that, open every window, sand hardwoods if they aren't stained, seal everything with Kills, and you should be in pretty good shape.  I am currently in the middle of a 3 family where there were  17********* cats.  Only house I've ever threw up in.  Regardless, did this and no more cat piss smell.

Brandon Ingegneri, Contractor in RI (#41301)

It was a nightmare.  It was inone bathroom where the cat used the bottom of the Vanity as a litter box.  The Vanity and sub floor were removed and the oder was still there

Home Depot aand bought their Cat oder disenfectate. We were told not to use clorax   Opened all the windows.  Used 2 layers of disenfectate and the oder was GONE

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.