Expectation of property management getting multiple bids on HVAC?

2 Replies

I got a call my from property manager about the rental I current own long distance in Birmingham, AL.  They got a call from the tenants that the HVAC system stopped working and the service company they brought out concluded that the HVAC system needed to be replaced.

We expected this, it was on it's last legs an we were planning on replacing in fall.

The property manager came back to let me know that the replacement would be $4,600 but that the quote was not in writing (and it took them a day to get me a written quote to my inbox). I asked how many bids they got:  one. 

I protested and they got me a second bid for $3,500.  

All this took about a week from when the unit went out to getting the new unit installed.  

Overall, I know that it is unreasonable for a management company to spend a lot of time shopping for every repair, but to single bid a major CapEx seems to not reasonable.

Just wondering what everyone's else experiences with similar situations is.  

how many square feet is your house?

We never fault an owner if they request a second quote. It's your right. 

In my opinion, not unreasonable for an owner to request a second bid, but also not unreasonable for a PM company to only get a bid from their primary contractor if the owner doesn't push back.  I assume most PM companies (especially the large ones) have go-to contractors (perhaps even contracts), which saves them lots of time, and hopefully saves the customer a little bit of money.

Also, keep in mind that something like HVAC going out in the summer may be time sensitive...

Personally, if I were you, and I knew the HVAC was on its last legs, I would have gotten quotes earlier, and been ready with your own contractor when the time came.  That might have saved you some more money...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here