Starting out in Jacksonville, FL where to start?

4 Replies

Hello and greetings! I am looking on doing some research in the Jacksonville markets and still do not know where to look. I have lived here all my life but have no clue on which areas to for. Currently I want to start of just using buy and holds until i feel comfortable with that and then move into doing a live and flip.

If you can, can you please tell me some areas to look into and if not how can I find a good deal when I see one? I know these are fundamental questions and the beginners book offered through BP offered some details but I need more.

Thank you for your time!

Hi @Malcome Baguette,

Welcome to BP. I wish you a great success. You are right you should read some basic books, you will find a lot of great books for beginners. I could help you with my advice where to invest and what to buy, however first make some market research on your own. Call some realtors, property manager chat with them. Everybody will want to sell you their service, get prepared for that. The zip codes you should keep in mind are 32205, 32210, 32211, 32208, etc.  Good luck to your journey!

@Malcome Baggett Welcome to the BP community.

There is nothing to fear, but, fear itself. You are local and know the neighborhoods.

If not, walk and/or drive through the various neighborhoods and decide if this is where you want to spend your money.

Then, visit any of the links below and put in address or city, price range, number of bedrooms, etc and get an idea of the amount of money it costs and balance that with what you can afford to spend. 

Plus, you will be able to view some of the properties that have pictures.

www.realtor.com

www.zillow.com

www.redfin.com

www.homesearch.com

Afterwards, get in touch with a local real estate agent and he/she will help you do additional searches to narrow your focus and hopefully take action with a purchase.

The best way to learn is by doing. You have the tools on the BP site, plus the entire community behind you.

So, let's get started!

Lastly, below is a link to get you familiar with how to analyze deals.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/06/30...

@Attilla Vlad @Linval T.

Thanks for the Advice! I have already spent some time on realtor.com and zillow.com in about three more months I will have the down payment ready and enough cash in reserve to buy a decent sized single family home in my area. Its just that I live in Oceanway and grew up in the East Arlington area so that is pretty much all I know.

Your words of encouragment and knowledge are deeply appreciated! thanks for replies!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you