First Land Contract Purchase

1 Reply

Hello everyone!

I am looking to purchase a property from an out of state seller by Land contract.

I have a couple questions:

-What document do I need for the transaction?

(As far as I know I need a P&S Agreement, Land Contract, and Memorandum)

-Does the seller need to be present at closing?

-Can I transfer the insurance into my companies name? Even better, am I able to get my own insurance or am I obligated to use the sellers insurance?

-As far as making payment, because there's a mortgage on the property, should I be making the payments to the seller or directly to the mortgage company? ( I plan on paying by check to show pay history as well)

All input is welcome!

Thank you,

Anthony Bell

I'd call my title agency and see what they can do for me.  

If you pay the seller you cannot be sure where the money is going; you want to make payment on the note, and put the loan number on the check.  

If you use the owner's insurance and there is a fire, how will you be paid?  

Why are you using a land contract, yet don't know what paperwork to use?  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you