Picking you real estate agent

5 Replies

I've been working with my agent for almost a year,
I want to buy properties to hold and flips. So far no luck on deals. My agent is also doing flips on the side and we are in the same area. Should I be worried about the flips properties that we might both be interested in?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Have you spoken to your agent about this before? I work with a small group of investors as an agent, and am currently looking for a property for a personal investment. What I'm looking for is different than what they are looking for and they know that. I would hate to lose a client because they think we are in competition. 

Communicating is important - hopefully, this can be resolved by a conversation. If you're happy with your agent but still feel it's a conflict of interest, he/she will most likely have another agent they can refer to you so you don't have to start from scratch.

Best of luck,

@Steven Lin I work with a lot of investors, and I also invest myself.  @Carly Young 's situation is probably the same as mine.  What I am looking for and what my buyers are looking for is probably not the same thing.  I also work with a number of investors, so I often have more than one client interested in the same property.  It happens.  All you can do is expect full disclosure from the people you trust, and hope that there are plenty of deals to go around.

I invest, but I'm not that creative with financing, so I only buy a property very two years or so.  

I am an investor, and an agent who works with investors.  There are so many properties out there, I could not possibly buy every good deal.  I also as a matter of practice give my clients first dibs on a property.  The chances though that one of my clients wants the same property I do...as well as wants it at the same time, is such a tiny chance....its just realistically not going to happen. 

if you've been with the agent for almost a year and haven't gotten any deals....major concern. I'm sure your business plan a year ago didn't project "no deals". Time to hire a different agent or reevaluate your plan. Probably both.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you