Matt Dougherty
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
First Post on BiggerPockets!

Matt Dougherty
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Apr 5 2016, 19:38

Hi everyone,

I am very new to the real estate investment world and am currently trying to educate myself as much as possible on the topic before I actually dive into a deal of any kind.

A little bit about my background/interests: I graduated with a finance degree in the spring of 2014 and have been employed with a company in the Cleveland area for the last 2 years. I am very interested in real estate investment as a vehicle to generate passive income. Initially, I am most intrigued by long term buy and hold rental properties that are preferably multi-family, but I am open to any opportunity if I feel like it is good one.

The reason for my post: I am currently on a 6 month business assignment in Shanghai and then moving to Luxembourg and while I am away I want to dedicate a significant amount of time to studying all there is to know about REI before I get back to the US. I have currently been reading through the forums, blogs, and articles that appear on BiggerPockets, listening to the podcast (both new and old episodes), looking into basic tax benefits of REI, and running mock up analysis of current properties I find through MLS listings. Are there any specific books and topics I should read/focus on to lay a good knowledge based foundation while I am away?

I am very serious about getting involved in REI and any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I really want to hit the ground running when I get home.

(sorry for writing a short novel)

Thank you!

Loading replies...