Roofstock

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 14 votes
6y

Here's my two larger pennies on Roofstock and the broader prop tech industry...

1) Prop techs are very new to the marketplace and are gaining significant steam based on high property valuations across the country in solid  and not so solid markets. These sites tell you what you want to hear. They're not lying about anything per se, but they rarely discuss the past performance of most markets in a downturn. They also tend to dig more into the positive return on analysis of properties. but less on the more nuanced details such as how far the value of the overall market has come from its inherit/median value based on incomes, job growth, internal vs external population growth and diversity of employment industries.

2) Every investor should know that we've never seen this much cash sloshing around the marketplace (paired with debt) as we do today. When everyone and their grandma are investor experts from an armchair in Brooklyn, that worries me. Most investors never step foot in Memphis. Oklahoma City, Indy or Chattanooga. They just read the data put in front of them and pull the trigger based on near past and pro forma numbers. Tier 2 and 3 markets are about the pockets and neighborhoods, not the city as a whole sometimes. When you buy Indy, which area are you buying? That can significantly make that advertised 12% gross return become a 4% return or lower.

Throwing in one more Abe Lincoln coin here...if you're an investor, visit the market you're investing in, create one on one relationships with your service partners on the ground, start you're own RSS feed on all things on the city from jobs, crime and fiscal health of the city and state (reason I stay faaaaaar away from Chicago and Illinois). A fancy online dashboard may seem like it's all good in the neighborhood, but when things go south, you're the one left holding the bag. Not the turnkey operator, not the prop tech that went belly up because their VC money dried up and were leveraged to the tilt and not the Roofstocks of the world that just presented you with opportunities.

To be clear, this is not a knock on Roofstock, but how the prop tech industry as a whole may be helping to inflate values in areas that really shouldnt see the values they're seeing incrementally rise. This will become an issue at some point, but who knows when it actually will negatively hit the market. Just make sure you know who's writing the story.

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kearny, NJ · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jason G.

    It’s never wise to give too many details about an issue you are still dealing with. Just know I purchased a “turnkey,” and what I got was anything but turnkey. I guess one way to learn is to go through it yourself. There’s a ton of good reviews on Roofstock out there, unfortunately my experience was, or is a disaster, and I personally wouldn’t recommend Roofstock to anyone I know!!

  • Jason G.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 434 posts · 495 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Alex Penalva:

    @Jason G.

    It’s never wise to give too many details about an issue you are still dealing with. Just know I purchased a “turnkey,” and what I got was anything but turnkey. I guess one way to learn is to go through it yourself. There’s a ton of good reviews on Roofstock out there, unfortunately my experience was, or is a disaster, and I personally wouldn’t recommend Roofstock to anyone I know!!

    We don't know that you purchased a "turnkey" property.  You are making a representation without offering any supporting information.  Did Roofstock represent it was a turnkey property in the listing?  In any of the documents including in the listing? In any of the closing documents? In an e-mail to you?

    With respect to the failing the occupancy inspection, were the items that failed also items that were evaluated as part of the inspection report Roofstock had performed?  Did you obtain completed disclosure forms from the seller prior to executing the PSA and if so, did those forms address any of the items that failed the occupancy inspection?  Did you have your own inspection performed on the property?

    The answers matter because that tells us if Roofstock made mistakes, if you had certain expectations that were unrealistic, made assumptions, if there are holes in your due diligence, or a combination of those things.

  • Kearny, NJ · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jason G.

    Did you read my original comment? How don’t you know if I purchased a “turnkey” or not. I literally said, I purchased a property that was marketed as turnkey. 🤨🤨

  • Kearny, NJ · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jason G.

    And you answered your own question, I can’t give out too much detail in case Roofstock did make a mistake and offers to rectify it. As of right now, if anyone asks me what I think about Roofstock, as was the original question posted, I would advise to stay away from my personal experience, but you are welcome to do with your money as you please. You don’t have to know much more than that. That’s really all personal stuff until it ain’t, if it ever comes to a point that it isn’t, ie. Class action for misrepresentation or something of the like.

  • Jason G.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 434 posts · 495 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Alex Penalva:

    @Jason G.

    And you answered your own question, I can’t give out too much detail in case Roofstock did make a mistake and offers to rectify it. As of right now, if anyone asks me what I think about Roofstock, as was the original question posted, I would advise to stay away from my personal experience, but you are welcome to do with your money as you please. You don’t have to know much more than that. That’s really all personal stuff until it ain’t, if it ever comes to a point that it isn’t, ie. Class action for misrepresentation or something of the like.

    Taking what you say at face value, I do see that Roofstock has recently introduced a turnkey program with a one year warranty.  Once the issues you've had ultimately resolve, however that may be, I think it will be beneficial to others if you share your full experience, including how that warranty actually worked.  So I hope you consider sharing that and as someone who owns several properties I know how frustrating it can be to have expensive issues come up, so I truly hope it all works out for you.

  • Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2010 · 27 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    I looked into Roofstock a few years ago when they first started. They had some decent listings in the Indiana region. I think I filled out something where they send you weekly listings. I still get them. From just using quick math: 25% down, estimated rents listed on their Pro-forma, and the 50% rule, the numbers are red. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Centreville, VA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 799 votes
    5y

    @Chris Yeung I purchased a property with Roofstock back in November last year and the ability to view inspection reports, tenant ledgers, recommended property managements and renovation estimates makes it easy to analyze properties on Roofstock. There are also neighborhood ratings which help you even further. Hope this helps. 

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    5y

    I've sold 2 on roofstock. Both properties were occupied and managed by a professional management company who was registered with RS. The process was pretty simple. RS sent out an independent inspector to the property and I got a 60page report. It was a renovated property so I only had minor things they asked me to fix. I had to provide the lease and the full ledger for that tenant who at the time was there 3 months. Every month, I needed to provide updated documents. My buyers were both cash but I know others who have purchased with lending and they use whatever bank they normally use. 

    Someone asked months ago on this thread- why do sellers dump properties on RS. She made it seem like the owners didn't want them anymore and were looking for an easy exit. That's not the case. The people in my area who use RS do so as an exit strategy. 

    For people who have issues with RS, I think part of the problem is your expectations. They are not a turnkey company. They don't own the properties. They are basically a glorified broker for tenant occupied properties. They provide as much info up front as possible but like anything, they rely on the seller to be honest. And even when sellers are honest, the AC condensers do break down after the sales sometimes. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Highland, IN · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Closed on a property listed via RS in LaPore, IN two weeks ago. As the acting agent there was once or twice that both my loan officer and myself thought there could have been some better communication but all in all it was a pretty seemless process. I selected a local bank to work with and maintained the existing PM. While not their listed lender or PM they had no issue working with who I selected. 

    The property is in an a city I've worked in for a number of years so it is not like I didn't know the area. I was also able to visually inspect it as well as review all the financials and documentation they offer before purchasing. 

    Now for the craziness  ... Literally 1hr before closing after walking out of the bank from wiring my down payment I get an email from the PM the tenant has vacated 3 months early. I come to find out the tenant has been in a coma for over a month from a car accident and of course can no longer pay. RS had no knowledge of this either but to their credit now that the house is vacant they put it under their RS rent guarantee. So if it remains vacant for 45 days they will pay me rental income at market rate. I would hope the PM will have a new tenant in place before then but it was nice that RS went ahead and did that on their own after learning from the PM about this unique case. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Centreville, VA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 799 votes
    5y

    @Ronald Trepton Wow!! to find out 1 hour before closing, that's scary. But I have heard of Roofstock helping out with the rent guarantee so not surprised with their service. 

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 40 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Ronald Trepton what a story! Any updates to share on finding a tenant

  • Real Estate Investor · Highland, IN · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Joseph Brown PM has listed the property but no tenant yet even though they let me know they have one application and a few others "looking". That was 1.5 weeks ago so hopefully something soon. What I do not understand is how they listed the property and placed it on Rently so people can tour it before they finished making the repairs stated in the tenant-make-ready (TMR) report they sent me. This is my first time using a PM so I do not have anyone else to compare them to. 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    I’ve bought two SFHs on Roofstock this year. These were my first investments so take all of this with. grain of salt. 

    The first is performing well. The second which I just closed on seems to have a dysfunctional sewer that may require 10K+ of repair (the inspection I got before closing missed this). This may not be Roofstock’s fault so much as that of the seller they connected me with; not sure how much responsibility Roofstock has to guard against this kind of thing. In my interactions with Roofstock, the company has bene professional and cordial. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Highland, IN · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    I feel your pain on that 2nd property @Lewis Kerwin. For the life of me I cannot understand how their property inspection missed so many items I need to fix. I've read other people trusting RoofStocks inspection only to find out major issues after the purchase that any property inspector should have found. If you are buying a house on Roofstock do not trust the inspection they provide. Demand your own inspection or walk away.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    5y

    @Ronald Trepton who manages for you out in LaPorte? We don’t go that far but I have owners we manage for who are starting to look out there because of the price point. Told them they can have fun with their 100yr old Mich City houses. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Highland, IN · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    I've heard good things about Vilgar and see they manage in both Lake and LaPorte counties.

  • Real Estate Investor · Highland, IN · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    For anyone that saw my previous post about the original tenant being in a coma. I know it's not related to Roofstock or real estate I general but I talked to the next door neighbor that happened to be the father of the young man in the car accident and was in a coma for months. He awoke from that coma, was able to meet his newborn child his wife gave birth to. He is walking with a cane and only has some minor memory loss. All in all a miracle. 

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Trepton:

    I've heard good things about Vilgar and see they manage in both Lake and LaPorte counties.

    Yeah- i used to use them and go to church with them. I'd still use them if i didn't start my own. We're right next to the post office in Griffith- stop in some time. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.