Investing in Dayton, OH

3 Replies

Is Dayton, OH still a good place to invest? I was given a property located on Dexter Ave, zip is 45419. It is in a very good school district. But I see very few rental listings on Zillow in that immediate neighborhood. Anyone know what the rental demand is like in this area?

Also, how is Dayton's economy? The unemployment does not seem to great. I also read it was one of the hardest hit regions during the recession.

Hi, I used to live in 45419, however not in the area of Dexter (I didn't know homes like that existed in 45419).  That zip code has some of, if not most of, the most expensive home in the entire Dayton area, specifically the areas of West Kettering and Oakwood.  

I think the rental market is decent in Dayton, however I am new to REI so have little experience. The economy is so-so, moving from manufacturing to service but it have been a slow evolution. I would be happy to help you in any way I could but admittedly am not experienced in this business yet. However, I am a life-long resident of the area so that may be of some value to you.

Rob

@Jonathan Oh Overall, that's a good location for a property. It should be easy to rent.

Dayton was hit hard, but now the economy is on the upswing. It's been a good year for jobs and growth.

I live in 45419. Dexter is in a working class neighborhood. Mostly cheaper homes. Not a bad area, just on the lower side as far as that zip code goes. Do your due diligence as far as property value is concerned.  I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have, as I've lived in kettering for 25 years and love to invest there

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.