How to "Tenant Proof" Your Rentals! Share Your Tips!

7 Replies

Hey everyone, so I was working on my duplex today asking myself what all could be done to "Tenant Proof" my rentals.  Share your tips and tricks!  

I happened to be installing shelving today and I like to stay away from the the plastic shelf brackets that don't always land on a stud.  I like to hang my shelves on a 1x3 that I paint the color of the wall.  I make sure the 1x3 is at least 16" long so I will span from stud to stud.  The last thing I want is my tenant to over load the shelf and it pulls out the cheap plastic bracket from the drywall.  

Below is what I like to stay away from unless they happen to land on a stud.  I find that they pull away from the drywall if the tenant overloads the shelf.

check out this podcast

https://youtu.be/Kk71Ly59HfE?t=2974

i wish i had a good answer. my last tenant that left trashed my rental. i didn't check in on them and they apparently made extra income by dog sitting. my doors/walls/floors were torn up. funtimes.

one thing to do is add a line item in the lease agreement that you will do quarterly inspections of the inside of property, and point this out to them before they sign the agreement. This could potentially deter some 'bad' activities.

Tile, dark grout, and sealer

The grout, to prevent staining and leaking.

Depends on the class of your rentals. I prefer tile for mine. Others in here will disagree.

I only like the surrounds if they are 1-piece. Unfortunately many of those can't fit through a doorway so can only be installed during major renovations.

Originally posted by @Kyle Grimm :

Well that shows how much I know about tiling!  I will definitely have that done to the unit I am finishing up now.  Just curious @Max Tanenbaum , would you recommend tiling a shower or putting in a surround kit? 

Either type's have products to the job.  It all comes down to installation.   More often problems occur due to incorrect installations. It also depend on how much you want to spend.  I like tile but I like the looks of it.  Verify the dimension on a prefab system as it may be problematic to get it into the bathroom.  Some are 3 piece sections.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.