What degree is most beneficial in Home Flipping

10 Replies

Hi Everybody!

I recently moved to Georgia,U.S to study and receive a degree. I had always been interested in Real Estate as my aunt back in South Africa is a Real Estate agent, so this is where it all began. This was even furthered when my Uncle started his own property investment business here, with that I've managed to see what happens behind the scenes and have learn't a lot from what he has shared with me. 

Upon moving to the states, I decided that I wanted to go into corporate so I am now studying International Business. Yet I've had a change of heart and decided to go back to what I initially wanted to do, which is Home Flipping.

I am wanting to continue studying as I do want a degree but not sure if an International Business degree is worth it or if I should change majors? If so, what major? I am still a freshman so making that change would be easy. I'd really appreciate any advice or feedback.

This post has been removed.

I agree with Bradley above.  I think too many people your age are trying to decide on their degree by calculating how much money they can make with it instead of following what they are interested and good at, which - if your motivation is to make money - you will find a way to make money doing what you love.  That might not be EXACTLY what Bradley said, but you understand my meaning.

You don't need a degree to be successful in real estate.  A good understanding of basic math is sure useful though.  The more you work in real estate - whether you're painting houses, selling houses, or doing comparative analyses of housing markets - you'll start learning what you need to know in the niches out there that might be of interest to you.

Why don't you start through some of the education and tools tabs from above and tell us what grabs your interest?

School Of Hard Knocks and a Masters in Common Sense.

STEM fields, medical, dental, law, refinery work (process operating, instrumentation, NDE and etc), trade skills (plumbing, electrical, etc..)

Thank you all for reaching out! Grateful to be receiving help from such wise people. I am really relating to what Bradley and Valerie said, that is why I decided to change my major to professional sales with a minor in either marketing or finance. I am thinking marketing as I am not too fond of finance although I do understand that it may be the better option? I have always loved sales and think it would be most beneficial in the long run. What are your thoughts? 

@Megan Lansdell

I have a BBA in marketing, and to be honest with you, most of it is pretty common sense unless you want to focus on the more technical stuff like market research and statistics. 

If you want to be good at sales and marketing, network around and offer to be a salesperson and/or intern. You're right about sales, Real estate is all about people. 

Check out southwestern company out of nashville, tn. If you can succeed in 1 summer of training and door to door selling books, you can do anything! Great company to train young people to the principles of sales and marketing. 

good luck! 

If you're super outgoing, charismatic and attractive, sales could be perfect for you.  I would minor in finance personally. 

If you change your mind again, I would vote Chemical/Mechanical/Electrical engineering with a minor in Computer Science or Dentistry ( Specialized is even better: Ortho, Pedodontist, etc...).  And of course excellent GPA and co-ops or internships on your resume in the end.

Hard working ambulance chasers make great money too.

Good luck!

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Chris T. :

@Megan Lansdell

I have a BBA in marketing, and to be honest with you, most of it is pretty common sense unless you want to focus on the more technical stuff like market research and statistics. 

If you want to be good at sales and marketing, network around and offer to be a salesperson and/or intern. You're right about sales, Real estate is all about people. 

Check out southwestern company out of nashville, tn. If you can succeed in 1 summer of training and door to door selling books, you can do anything! Great company to train young people to the principles of sales and marketing. 

good luck! 

Hi Chris! 

Thanks for the response. On that note, do you conclude that it would be a better bet for me to go minor in finance as opposed to marketing? With a major in Professional Sales? I checked out Southwestern Company and contacted them, seems like a great opportunity! My only concern is if I'll be able to participate as I am a F1 visa holder. 

@Megan Lansdell

I was a student on F1-visa as well. At that time, we were allowed to work off-campus so you will need to check with your university's department that takes care of international students and visa related questions. 

If you plan to get a OPT visa after you graduate, I would highly recommend you get a technical degree in a STEM related field, or maybe finance. Getting a marketing major may create an issue for you to get hired in a company. 

You could still apply for a sales position with a technical background. Then venture in real estate. 

Just so that you know, most companies will not hire international students with generic degrees such as marketing. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.