Avg. Prices in your area?

5 Replies

I'm always curious to know what the average price of a home is in different towns and cities. One of my colleagues went to Texas (was it Austin?)recently and we were all shocked at how cheap a house was down there.

So, I'd like to start a list that compares the avg. prices of all single family properties sold in a given town/city.
And could you also give the approximate population of your town/city? It'll give us some sort of frame of reference at least.

I'll go first:

Nanaimo B.C. Canada

Avg. single family property sold in July 2006:

$318,716 CDN (go www.xe.com to figure out the exchange if you need to)

Population of Nanaimo: Approx. 95,000

--------------------
Ryan
www.ryan-coffey.com

Akron Ohio is probably 85k or so.

One of the worst real estate markets in the nation i terms of depreciation though..

It is making a turn though as investors keep re-habbing... You can get a house for 10-20 and invest 10 then sell for 80-100.

Nice turn..

Oh I feel so much better now. The statistic I was quoting was from 1-2 years ago. Akron is appreciating at 3% now.. It just goes to show what investing can do!!!

Thanks for the post!!!

Originally posted by "Greg_Home123":
Akron Ohio is probably 85k or so.

One of the worst real estate markets in the nation i terms of depreciation though..

It is making a turn though as investors keep re-habbing... You can get a house for 10-20 and invest 10 then sell for 80-100.

Nice turn..

You can flip a rehab for that much profit there? pretty good!

a rule of thumb is...
states that have high property tax will have lower sale price
and states that have lower property tax will see higher sale price.

texas in general have higher property tax than other states...

the best way is to check the local newspaper...i alway tend to pick on up and check the local market in that city.

the newspaper is a good source many don't use...

thanks
sunsmicro

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you