Want to buy house but dont want to lose it!

13 Replies

Hey everyone, I have a sort of odd question. I recently inherited money and want to buy my first home. My girl freind/fiance lives with me and it would only stand to reason that she would expect to change that title. Without going into details that make no difference in the calculation. How can I buy a house without worrying about her getting it (or any of it) if we broke up in a few years? Is it as simple as just not marrying her? I would like to marry her but dont know if I'd bet my house we'd stay together.

I know this sounds cold and calculating, but when you hear stuff like "if we break up I wont get anything". In my opinon love and compassion (the same she has given me) is fair.

Thanks for reading my post.

As the Ohio Realtor said put title into a Land Trust. Have the trustee be an independant party not yourself. Have a trust company or title company be trustee. There are several ways you can add flexibility to the trust, yet you need to consult legal counsel that has a working knowledge of Land Trusts.

Originally posted by "mgoddo":
Dont marry her! Im sorry, but if you have enough doubts to ask the question she isnt for you :)

That is my personal opinion... Or PRENUP!!!!

I am sorry to say, but I have to agree with mgoddo in not marrying her. If she is meant to be then you will have absolutely no doubts...unless...you are affraid because of a past fiance/girlfriend that has made you overly causious (ms?).

Also, she should no be offended if you do not put her name on the title or do the trust or parent thing. If she does buck on that then sounds like she may be a "golddigger" and you don't want that.

If no problems, then congrats on your engagement!!

Good Luck! Denise 8)

I agree with what is said here. Make sure to have the title of the house only in your name. Also make sure to have a prenuptual agreement to protect your assets( this includes things besides your house). As far as not getting married... don't worry because everyone has doubts. You just need to protect your own interest just in case. Its called being realistic. Good luck!

I'd recommend a half hour with a divorce lawyer that practices in your state. Iirc in VA any real property obtained prior to the marriage was not considered community in the event of divorce and the spouse has no claim... Or maybe that's in FL, I've done one in each state. Having children changes the parameters...

Originally posted by "GeniecProperties":
Buy the house, have it in your name only. and if you are going to get married make her sign a pre nup. Another solution: give the money to someone you trust with your life, mom, dad, etc......then have them buy the house for you. if you get married and divorced the house wont be in the question and you were just "renting"

Did you make her sign a prenup, or do you trust her enough to stick with you?

Originally posted by "courtontherun":
I would like to marry her but dont know if I'd bet my house we'd stay together.

This sentence says it all. If you marry her, you're a fool.

With about 50% of marriages ending in divorce in a relatively short time, I would check the state laws too. In some states property owned prior to, or inherited, is not part of a divorce settlement. Just don't put her name on it. If she wants a house, maybe the two of you purchase a dofferent one together, and use it as a rental...

Just make sure you're the one who ends up with THIS property, and go ahead an marry her, but be upfront about your plans. Talk about it with her. If she has any thought of being on the title, you'd best get that clear before hand. Besides, with money being the biggest problem in marriages, make discussion a priority.

1. A prenuptial agreement will do what you need. It can cover more than a house.

2. Consider the motivation behind your question. Maybe there is a message there.

3. Use a lawyer if you really want to be sure you set things up right. A trust is fine when done correctly. Handled incorrectly and you will be wasting money on the trust.

John Corey

This is a tough one. Things can seem so good at the beginning, but yeah, if things start going sour the home is the first thing that get's caught up. Especially if there are kids involved.

Better be sure before you marry her, and of course, you could always get her to sign a prenup. The only thing is, just asking her might cause her to walk away...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you