*Rich Dad Poor Dad* Book Review #1

*Rich Dad Poor Dad* Book Review #1

OH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 38 votes

To whom it may concern,

Since this is my first time making a thread, I feel the need to share a little about myself. If you’re only interested in the book review, feel free to skip ahead. My name is Alexander Monnin. I am currently a college student majoring in Electrical Engineering. I will graduate in May 2019, get a full time job and begin investing in real estate on the side. My goal is to build wealth and have the opportunity to quit my day job by the time I’m 40 (emphasis on opportunity because I do enjoy engineering).

I read Rich Dad Poor Dad at least a year ago and several other personal development books since. About a week ago, I decided to go all out in real estate and committed to seriously educating myself over the next 2 years to prepare myself for when I have money to invest. So to do that, I will be writing book reviews on real estate books in my free time.

Rich Dad Poor Dad

By Robert Kiyosaki

“If you want to be rich, you need to be financially literate.”

If you are looking for a book about investing strategies or tactics, this book is not for you. I would not call Rich Dad Poor Dad a book about real estate. Instead, this book teaches people how to be financially literate, which above all, may be the most important thing to building wealth.

The first step to becoming financially literate is understanding the difference between an asset and liability, and also understanding the effects of them. According to the book, the key to gaining wealth is acquiring assets and keeping your liabilities as low as possible. An asset is something that puts money into your pocket and a liability is something that takes money out of your pocket. This is the first thing that people should know when trying to build wealth. I know some people will disagree with these definitions, but the truth is that these are concepts and you can call them by whatever name you want. In the end, rich people find ways to put money in their pocket while decreasing the things that take away their money.

The next thing to understand is that putting your money into liabilities before you have assets is essentially digging yourself a grave. For example, many people buy themselvess their dream home before they can afford it. They don’t understand the expenses that come with it. They don’t understand that a house will have larger fees like property taxes and upkeep fees that will never go away. People who fall into buying a house too early will be forced to pay their liabilities first and have little to none to put into assets. This leads to lost time, loss capital and a lost chance to gain experience investing.

“People who avoid failure also avoid success.”

You will never find a golfer who never lost ball or find a biker who never fell of their bike trying to learn. This is true of investing. You will make mistakes when investing, it's inevitable. It happens to all investors. Unfortunately, most people know this but use it as a reason not to invest.

You can play to win or you can play not to lose. Fear of losing should not keep you out of the game. You can’t let fear control you. Above all, take calculated risks and trust yourself. You will make mistakes, but you will learn from them. If you really keep at it and don’t give up, you will become successful.

Since this is my thread, I will keep it short and stop here. These were my top takeaways from Rich Dad Poor Dad. If you are just getting started into investing, then this is a wonderful book for you. My next review will be on Real Estate Investing - A Complete Guide to Making Money in Real Estate in your Home Town by David Lindahl. Comment what you think and let me know if you know any good books on real estate.

Alexander Monnin

P.S. Feel free follow or reach out to me.

5Reply
75 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 91 votes
9y

@Alexander Monnin,  Glad you liked Rich Dad Poor Dad.  I great book to follow up with is @Scott Trench's "Set For Life". As a retired Engineer, I only wish that I had had these two books to read at your stage of life.  Read and take the lessons seriously.  Good Luck and Welcome to BP.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin,  Glad you liked Rich Dad Poor Dad.  I great book to follow up with is @Scott Trench's "Set For Life". As a retired Engineer, I only wish that I had had these two books to read at your stage of life.  Read and take the lessons seriously.  Good Luck and Welcome to BP.

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 115 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin hello from a previous fellow Buckeye :)   Agree that Rich Dad, Poor Dad is an excellent book to start learning about financial freedom.  My husband and I took action after reading that book... 18 years ago.     Just curious, as a college student in engineering, how did you get introduced to Rich Dad Poor Dad?

  • OH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Buddy Holmes Thanks for the suggestion Buddy.  Ill definitely look into "Set For Life."

  • OH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Nichole Stohler I follow this guy on social media who is a serially entrepreneur and reads a lot of personal development books.  He said it was his favorite book so obviously had to check it out since I kind of look up to him.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    Alexander Monnin I studied mechanical engineering and graduated last year. Definitely focus on your studies and gpa. It'll help a lot once you graduate. Anyone who says otherwise probably has a low gpa LOL. REI is pretty great and works well for engineers. I'm about to on my first property and buy my second shortly after. I'm not even 23 yet! Happy investing !
  • OH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Caleb Heimsoth Nice. Very exciting Caleb!

  • Real Estate Professional · Fullerton, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin are your reading the next one Cash Flow Quadrant? That one is my favorite.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin

    First, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm going to be honest with you and tell you what I truly think as an engineer and investor...

    Second, congrats for considering yourself graduated and having a job right after your graduation day/month. Not everyone achieve that.

    Third, I think you have great goals, and that's a good thing... before going further, please, graduate, find a job, work hard, pass your EIT and PE examinations, get the experience you need to be called an engineer, and while doing all that, jump on real estate or just learn more about it. Team up with already establish and smart people in REI, until you are ready.

    Books are great, reality is upon us, be smart and continue your education on engineering or something else while learning or pursuing your dreams. If something else, exchange engineering for business administration or something else that you can apply more directly to real estate.

    Just my two cents, hope no one else here take it personally regarding their education background and the fan book thing... (I know I will get some disagreements here).

    Best of luck to you,

    Josue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Port Coquitlam, BC · Member since 2017 · 520 posts · 527 votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin Keep reading through the Kiyosaki bibliography... I personally like "Rich Dad's Guide to Investing" the best. While I have a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering and operate a business in this domain, it's more of an "S" than a "B".  My business does, however, allow me to acquire real assets and the Guide to Investing is completely aligned with the way I see the world.

    Happy reading!

  • Rental Property Investor · Port Coquitlam, BC · Member since 2017 · 520 posts · 527 votes
    9y

    @Josue Vargas  ... you are letting a little "Poor Dad" creep into your advice: 

    "before going further, please, graduate, find a job, work hard, pass your EIT and PE examinations, get the experience you need to be called an engineer". 

    Engineers working as engineers for someone else won't become rich.  Jobs don't make you rich. Owning businesses and investments make you rich.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    That engineering degree is going to set you back in your real estate investing. The phrase "Paralysis by Analysis" was created to explain why engineers look at hundreds of deals, but only buy the house they live in.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Josue Vargas  ... you are letting a little "Poor Dad" creep into your advice: 

    "before going further, please, graduate, find a job, work hard, pass your EIT and PE examinations, get the experience you need to be called an engineer". 

    Engineers working as engineers for someone else won't become rich.  Jobs don't make you rich. Owning busines and investments make you rich.

    Account Closed , With all respect, who says that an engineers work won't become rich?  Are you an engineer?  What kind of company are you working with, if you are an engineer? What if I'm an engineer invested in a company with a lot of engineers? 

    I'm not here to tell you what an engineers do or what we own or how successful I'm within my company, but I love to know if you are a license engineer and in what state... 

    I do not believe a book will change my life... You can change yours by reading a book, and that's great!  Life changes when you take determination and action, in a smart way...

    I did'n get my BS or MS by reading silly books, but by reading textbooks and applying my knowledge from the professors, and yes, other books books.  It was a long run.  Still I'm reading all kind of books, but please, ,make a distinction between.. silly books, books, and textbooks.  

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    This book was the catalyst to my entire career.  

  • OH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Letxy Sosa I have not read Cash Flow Quadrant but it is definitely on my list.

    @Josue Vargas Good points.  I agree that actual real estate experience or learning from someone will have more value than reading books

    @Account Closed Great to know, I can only hope for the same affect.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mc Kinney, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    I found Rich Dad Poor Dad fairly poorly written (feels like it's written for a 6th-grade rewarding level). That being said, when a friend suggested it to me about 25 years ago it literally changed my life and is the reason I decided to get into real estate. 25 years later I have slowly and steadily done so, and now have my house plus 5 other SFH rentals. So, I recommend the book, despite its flaws!

  • Owasso, OK · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin I think its great that you are getting prepared at an early age! My husband and I graduated from college 2 years ago with degrees in engineering. Having a dual engineering income has allowed as to save 70% of our income and we are now using this extra money to invest in real estate. So definitely put a lot of hard work into your courses and network with people both in engineering and in real estate, you will be surprised how many engineers are real estate investors.

    I just finished the 4hr work week and I'm about to dive into Rich Dad Poor Dad. thanks for the summary!

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Paul Doherty:

    I found Rich Dad Poor Dad fairly poorly written (feels like it's written for a 6th-grade rewarding level). That being said, when a friend suggested it to me about 25 years ago it literally changed my life and is the reason I decided to get into real estate. 25 years later I have slowly and steadily done so, and now have my house plus 5 other SFH rentals. So, I recommend the book, despite its flaws!

    The book was published 20 years ago.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin Just like stereotypes (that exist for a reason) there are always exceptions to the rule, but the rule still stands.

  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I personally believe that the better way to judge the education of a series of books is by the success that had been attained solely through the education of that book.

    I've taught Real Estate between 2007 to 2015 in order to teach beginning Investors how to really understand the Financials in a much more sophisticated way and apply it to ANY investment, not just Real Estate.

    You would learn things like Discounted Cash Flows (DCF), Internal Rates of Return (IRR), Mortgage Analysis and Amortization, etc.

    Unfortunately, many of the students who read Books like these wound up investing in higher Cash Flow / Lower Appreciation Areas while they lived in the very high Appreciation Cities and neighborhoods.

    The results are that a lot of the Students completely missed the boat in areas that skyrocketed.

    For example, while I and several of my personal students bought a 3 Unit Brownstone in Bed-Stuy for $900k, put in $300k or renovations, the building today is worth $2.2 Million.

    We purchased with an 80% LTV Mortgage of $720k so our down payment was $180k. The total Investment is $555k which included the $180k down, $300k renovations and $75k closing costs.

    The current Equity in the building is now ($2.2 Million minus the Mortgage of $700k current Balance) = $1.55 Million.

    In other words, we turned $555k invested into $1.55 Million in 3 Years.

    To increase our returns from that, we also took out a 2nd Lien for other purchases.

    Additionally, we are receiving around $3k per month in positive cash flow.

    For most readers of these kinds of books, they would not have bought an Investment like this for multiple reasons.

    The first is that it won't cash flow on day one.

    The second is that they don't want to partner, they only want to do it themselves. The returns for the Investment is equal for all Partners but this kind of math seems to be non-existent in their minds. It's really a compelling reason to Partner if you can get returns like the above. 

    The third is that they don't understand how to calculate future values including Appreciation.

    The fourth is that they don't understand how a fixed rate mortgage balance contributes towards your net worth.

    Now, you can say that this was a lucky buy.

    I would say that I own 8 multi-family properties, bought in the same way with very similar returns.

    There is a famous Coach that once said that Luck is a factor of two things, 1) Preparation and 2) Recognizing the Opportunities.

    Most of the readers of these kinds of books seem not to recognize this kind of opportunity.

    I don't blame the books. I'm just making an observation.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Llewelyn A. was your appreciation forced appreciation or market appreciation and was the future market portion predictable at the time of acquisition?

    There are going to be two types of investors that struggle to incorporate appreciation in the equation (1) those that simply struggle with understanding the math and (2) those that have a hard time predicting the market.

    FYI...I am primarily a value add investor...and also purchase both cash flow and appreciation plays.  My appreciation plays are more modest than yours and I consider them to be predictable over my intended hold period.

  • OH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Llewelyn A. @Mike Dymski What would you guys suggest if I wanted to learn these upper level/advanced strategies?

  • Rental Property Investor · Port Coquitlam, BC · Member since 2017 · 520 posts · 527 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Josue Vargas:

    @Chris Baxter , With all respect, who says that an engineers work won't become rich?  Are you an engineer?  What kind of company are you working with, if you are an engineer? What if I'm an engineer invested in a company with a lot of engineers? 

    I'm not here to tell you what an engineers do or what we own or how successful I'm within my company, but I love to know if you are a license engineer and in what state... 

    I do not believe a book will change my life... You can change yours by reading a book, and that's great!  Life changes when you take determination and action, in a smart way...

    I did'n get my BS or MS by reading silly books, but by reading textbooks and applying my knowledge from the professors, and yes, other books books.  It was a long run.  Still I'm reading all kind of books, but please, ,make a distinction between.. silly books, books, and textbooks.  

    This is a discussion about the merits of Rich Dad and the philosophy behind it.  Simply put, it is exceptionally difficult to become wealthy as an "E" (employee). If you are an engineer working in an engineering firm, investing with after tax dollars, you are at an extreme disadvantage when compared to the owners of that firm who operate out of the "B" quadrant.  I'm not an engineer (I have a M.Sc. and Ph.D in Civil Engineering, though). I chose not to pursue registration and instead started a consulting firm that now uses its profits to buy assets (real estate).

    I'd be curious to know what you call a "silly book"... if you are counting the Rich Dad series among them, that's unfortunate. Almost every podcast I've heard on BP features a guest that lists Rich Dad as their favorite real estate or business book. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Alexander.  You are already way ahead of where I was at your age.  Your real estate education plan and posting on BP is excellent and I do not have much to add.  Maybe figure out a way to house hack your student living arrangements.  I have listened to a couple of podcasts where college students got started early in real estate by doing that.  Maybe find a local real estate mentor...do some free work for them and maybe pick up some coaching tips or a future partner.  Food for thought...any way to accelerate the learning curve outside of the book work.  A few more real estate books under your belt and this stuff will not sound so advanced any more.  Your engineering text books are more complicated.

  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Alexander Monnin

    Alex:

    There are a lot of my former students that entered into Real Estate because of the Rich Dad series.

    I think they are the best "Motivational" books out there and so I give it a lot of Credit for that.

    Probably without this book, there wouldn't be so many people that became RE Investors.

    However, this is a two edged sword.

    Prior to the Financial Crisis of 2007/8, there was a huge army of RE Investors that came into because of these kinds of books.

    Right after the crisis, there were a lot of them that lost a LOT of money.

    I've been investing for 2 decades. When I started teaching, it was during the Financial Crisis to try to convince people to stay away before the house of cards fell. I couldn't convince them despite the obvious situation that if you breathed, you got a mortgage.

    The funny thing about RE Motivational books is that they are really GREAT when times are going well.... but they are the worst to be convinced when the Economy is looking over the edge of a cliff, just before it is about to crash and burn.

    That's where the Real Education comes in.

    If you only do calculations that are geared towards the present, such as Cash on Cash Return (CoCR), Gross Rent Multiplier (GRM) or even Cap Rates but you don't do any Future Calculations such as Internal Rates of Return for a pro forma 10 year projection, you will not think about what is going to happen in the next 10 years. You are at the mercy of the Economy.

    The reality is that if you were to Invest in the best times, say the year 2000, you didn't even need to have any education. NOTHING and you would have made a lot of money by 2007.

    The only problem here is that by 2007, you needed the real education, one that looks toward predicting the future Economics, which would have led you to project your profits, in order for you to save yourself.

    There are only a few books that have these kinds of Calculations. On happens to be this one: 

    What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know about Cashflow

    However, it will be a vastly different book than what you would have read with Rich Dad series.

    To be honest, while there is a lot of interesting things in Rich Dad series of books, I wouldn't teach a course on solely the contents of it and call it a Real Estate course.

    If I were to draw an Analogy in Engineering, I would say that it's giving you enough information to draw you to become an Engineer without giving you all the knowledge that you need to perform well as an Engineer. Does that make sense?

    I think most people will have a problem with the Book I linked above. That's because the book is more like a Text Book and by Chapter 4, you will be doing calculations on Internal Rates of Return (IRR).

    The Average RE Investor may in fact not have the Math Knowledge to understand the concepts fully. But the Book does as best of a job trying to explain it to a layman as much as any I have seen without a one on one mentor from someone like me.

    Another issue I have is that there is not enough Economic Fundamentals that are discussed and Analyzed for you to be able to predict the future. For instance, what happens when prices rise and how do you know they are in general? That's called CPI. CPI has both Core and headline CPI. How does this affect Mortgages and Home Prices? These are very relevant issues to discuss.

    But since the vast majority of people don't really do future calculations, they would never ask those questions.

    There is also another Calculation that is not in these series of books. The Mortgage Amortization Calculation.

    It's really relevant.

    Consider that, as in my case, the Mortgages will be in the Millions.

    If you were to get a 30 year fixed rate $1 Million Mortgage and your Investment Property breaks even on Cash flow, meaning that the rents pay all the expenses as well as the Mortgage Payment, then your $1 Million Mortgage disappears in 30 years.

    If we do a simple calculation, take $1 Million divide it by 30 years, you get $33,333 per YEAR and $2,777 per month.

    If you don't see the value in this calculation, I think this has been a very missed opportunity merely because it's not emphasized in any of these books. Part of that may be due to the general Audience of the Rich Dad books being Mathaphobic.

    One of the first few months you would learn from any one of my classes when I taught it is to understand basic financial calculations. However, if books were to do that, they would never wind up on the best seller's list.

  • OH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Llewelyn A.  Thank you very much for this post.  You are very insightful and generous.  I will read the book.  This is the kind of information I need.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.