Getting Repair Estimates

8 Replies

Hello, I am a licensed real estate agent, I am fairly new to the business and I am trying to get into the investor side of things. The problem that I am coming across the most is advising repair estimates. I am not a contractor, I don't aspire to be and I don't always want to have to call one when I have a question about the cost of different things. Is there a better way to learn this? An app, handbook, website or anything?! I know this is something that you may learn as you go, but I am just hoping there is some kind of shortcuts. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Try going to a flooring store or 3 that does installs and ask them to give you pricing on full install. Ask them about "extras." Let them know you are a RE agent and want to be able to refer clients to them. Ask them about things to look out for. For instance, when we did carpet in our home one of our rooms was more than 12' wide. This meant we had to order only 15' wide carpet. And carpet is sold by the square yard based on what they need to do the job, including cuts, not what actually gets laid. So a 13' by 12' room costs the same as a 15'x 12' room. Other materials may not have this issue but you will still pay for every box of tiles they have to order, and a bit extra maybe if there are lots of cuts.

You can do the same for counters and other common upgrades/repairs/updates. After talking to a few (with some measurements) you will get a pretty good handle on estimating.

the best place I've found for pricing estimates like this is diyornot.com. they break down the material costs and labor by your zip code and provide you with step by step instructions for how to diy a project if you choose to. it doesn't sound like you are interested in that but the costs they provide with labor are pretty close to quotes I've gotten from contractors in the past. the prices are updated fairly regularly too. it's a great place to start to learn costs for a project until you get good enough to estimate them on your own.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you