That awkward moment when...

3 Replies

I have been talking with/helping a newer investor recently who has run into several weird situations.  He started off our conversation yesterday by saying, "So, I just had this homeless guy try to wholesale me a house for 30 grand".  I start laughing and then we started talking about other funny/weird/awkward situations that have happened over the years in real estate investing.  I need a good laugh - fellow investors, what is your best strange but true story?

Had a lady try to sell me a house for 35k and she told me over the phone she's a contractor and that this house will need 5k grand, no more to rehab. I drove by and the roof was caving in and the floor was sagging all over.

Pass

I had a crackhead tell us that he'd firebomb a condo if an investor bought it because he was upset that a old lady no longer lived there. He then went on to start rambling about other stuff and wouldn't leave us alone for a while. The funny part is he said all this to my realtor thinking he was the investor and I was just some "punk sidekick".

It was an odd situation all around... the house next door had "heavy" security and a ton of cameras all along the perimeter, but they were the nicest people and apologized for the inconvenience.

Bought a property at a foreclosure auction a few years which had a huge above-ground pool half full of pea soup-colored water. I was concerned about it being a safety hazard, so I had a contractor empty the pool by pumping it out. 

He calls me around 8 pm and says, "You're never going to believe what was in the bottom of the pool!".  I immediately fear the worst. Then he sends me this picture.

Never a dull moment in real estate.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.