That awkward moment when...

3 Replies

I have been talking with/helping a newer investor recently who has run into several weird situations.  He started off our conversation yesterday by saying, "So, I just had this homeless guy try to wholesale me a house for 30 grand".  I start laughing and then we started talking about other funny/weird/awkward situations that have happened over the years in real estate investing.  I need a good laugh - fellow investors, what is your best strange but true story?

Had a lady try to sell me a house for 35k and she told me over the phone she's a contractor and that this house will need 5k grand, no more to rehab. I drove by and the roof was caving in and the floor was sagging all over.

Pass

I had a crackhead tell us that he'd firebomb a condo if an investor bought it because he was upset that a old lady no longer lived there. He then went on to start rambling about other stuff and wouldn't leave us alone for a while. The funny part is he said all this to my realtor thinking he was the investor and I was just some "punk sidekick".

It was an odd situation all around... the house next door had "heavy" security and a ton of cameras all along the perimeter, but they were the nicest people and apologized for the inconvenience.

Bought a property at a foreclosure auction a few years which had a huge above-ground pool half full of pea soup-colored water. I was concerned about it being a safety hazard, so I had a contractor empty the pool by pumping it out. 

He calls me around 8 pm and says, "You're never going to believe what was in the bottom of the pool!".  I immediately fear the worst. Then he sends me this picture.

Never a dull moment in real estate.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here