Quitting my 9-6 job to do real estate investing?

7 Replies

I am new to BP and real estate in general. I'm in the process of getting my license, but I don't know very many people in real estate. My goal is to focus on the investing side of real estate, mainly wholesaling, but I am not sure what direction to go. That is why I am reaching out, as I am eager to learn and ready to make a career in real estate. I am in Oklahoma if that helps any.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

There are quite a few groups that Meetup regularly around the metro. There are a lot listed in Meetup and each one has different times and days so there is plenty of opportunity to fit your schedule.There are a few Facebook groups as well for OK investors.

lol my real estate job is more of a 9 to midnight job at times it seems.  i have a feeling lots of folks on here will tell me im just doing it wrong though...

Okay cool, I will check that out Lee thanks!

Rhett I don't doubt that, I don't mind the schedule, I would just prefer putting that time into real estate versus something that I don't plan on making a career out of.

why can't you do both? Do you have the cash to maybe make no money for a while? If it was me I wouldn't quit my stable job for a dream till the dream replaced my stable jobs income.

Matt, I can do both. Which is what i'm initially going to have to do from what I've read to start out. I was just hoping to find a job in real estate and then work my way from there. Most places seem to want me to have my license first though, which i'm working on, just not quite done.

@Oscar D Noguera

Interesting you bring this up as Todd Dexheimer discussed this in the most recent BiggerPockets podcast, check it out if you haven't! It was quite interesting. To sum up this part of the discussion just remember when you give up your job you are making real estate your liveliness. There are many, many real estate investors that managed real estate with full time jobs, such as Todd, and although it is extremely difficult, it is doable. That is what I suggest you do. Once you are at a point where your real estate income is comparable to your work income, it is far easier to give up the 9-6. However, remember that in doing so you will have stress in that you NEED to make real estate work. No if and or buts about it. It is going to be your only income and you need to face the reality that it can be hard at times, but that you have to make it work to survive and live a good life. If you are just starting out and do not have an overwhelming amount of knowledge on real estate do not commit full time to it until you get most of the ins and outs down first.

@Deep Patel

Thank you for the info on that podcast I will definitely check that out! But I have realized it is possible there is just some hard work a dedication that needs to be put toward it. Which i am more than willing to do, accepting the ups and downs that comes with it. I am trying to get all the knowledge i can so that i am prepared. But I will more than likely be transitioning versus going straight into real estate since I don't think I am fully prepared, unless i just get lucky with a job offer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.