Intro to Real Estate Investing: supplement to 90-day challenge

6 Replies

Hey, all you who are motivated enough to take this 90-day challenge!  Let's conquer these next 90-days together!

If you're not yet convinced of the value of this last quarter, listen to @Brandon Turner as he explains how the next three months could change your life: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/biggerpoc...

In an effort to figure out how to begin this process, I designed a class: INTRO TO REAL ESTATE INVESTING.  It is an intensive course, organized to strategically prepare myself, as best I can, to make a savvy purchase upon its completion (purchasing a duplex, triplex or 4-plex is the "Final Exam").  I put this Intro class together so I could set reasonable DAILY goals that amount to HUGE cumulative progress (see syllabus).  This is generally how I motivate myself......then I said to myself, "Self, why not offer this to the entire BP community?.....so we can motivate each other, keep each other accountable, start discussions about our common daily readings, share success stories and epiphanies, etc."

In this course........

WE WILL READ: 

-Cashflow Quadrant

-The Book on Rental Property Investing

-Real Estate Investing for Dummies

-Building Wealth One House at a Time

-Landlording on Autopilot

TOTAL PAGES: 1420 (25 pages per day)

WE WILL LISTEN TO:

-1 podcast each day

WE WILL ANALYZE:

-1 deal every day

WE WILL ATTEND:

-2 REIA meetings

WE WILL FIND:

-The city's best plumber, general contractor, etc.

WE WILL NETWORK:

-With local realtors

If you want to make the most of your next 90 days, let's do it together.

Download the manipulable syllabus here (it's an Excel file so you can update it however you want):

https://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/ShawnFren...

Or, download the PDF of the syllabus here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/ShawnFren...

Excited to see your investing plans come to fruition.

-Shawn

Thank you for the resources!

This is my first foray into real-estate at all, not just REI, and I must admit that I am more than a little intimidated. I am, however, motivated and excited to move on to this next chapter in my life!

@Joel Harrison same here. Happy to help in any way. Keep us posted on how these principles are being implemented in your endeavors in Tennessee, as I implement them in Omaha.

All the best. 

Shawn that looks really great! We are currently navigating the same roads, I’m also in Omaha and would love to connect sometime in person to chat.

@Shawn French This is a fantastic way to get started with not just reading and listening but getting familiar with the numbers of deal analysis too, which has the added huge benefit of getting a person familiar with their target market. And big kudos to you for documenting and sharing this in a way that will help others.

An update. I've hooked up with a great investor-savvy agent who was referred to me by an investor friend. I went and looked at one duplex, but it was not the one. There was too much wrong with it for the first go-around. Even the steps up to the porch were crooked. If I were in the business of buying property and bulldozing what is there to build anew, I would have low-balled the owner and gone for it. I'd also have gone after the vacant lot next door. But, alas, that isn't the name of my game yet. I'm not ready for that kind of action. We're going to look at another duplex on Tuesday if it doesn't go away by then. Still keeping my eyes on the market, and the prize. I may not get to my first deal by the end of the year, but I have at least made some moves in the right direction.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.