Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jason Unrath
  • Collegeville, PA
Votes |
Double-check my potential house hack deal, please.

Jason Unrath
  • Collegeville, PA
Posted Oct 18 2017, 18:50

I just finished running the numbers on a duplex I'm looking at. My idea is that I want to purchase the property with an FHA loan (3.5% down), fix it up, and then live in one unit while renting the second unit. Once the original loan is seasoned enough, I want to refinance the property with a large enough loan that I can retrieve all (or at least most) of the money I invested. My results using the BiggerPockets BRRRR Calculator are below.

Normally, I would pay close attention to the top section which suggests a $708 monthly cashflow among other great info.  However, if I'm going to live in one of the units, should I be more interested in whether or not the rent of the remaining unit can cover my monthly expenses?  The local market suggests I can charge $1200/mo for that unit.  This will cover my monthly expenses as shown above, allowing me to live there for free, AND give me $72.75/mo in profit (really $332.75/mo profit since I'll be managing the property).  Am I looking at this correctly?  Or is there a bigger picture I'm missing?

Loading replies...