• Investor
  • St. Simons Island GA
Votes |
Local community bank immediately told me no

Aundrea Newbern
  • Investor
  • St. Simons Island GA
Posted Oct 19 2017, 05:08
I have been investing in single and small multi families for the past 18 months. I have 4 properties (8 doors) at this time and my track record with getting rent on time and raising rents has been excellent. I reached out to a small community bank that I’ve worked with on and off for over 10 years and asked to be put in touch with their commercial banker. I’m looking to buy a mid size apartment complex within the next 12 months. I called and emailed their commercial banker a few times and he never responded. I then got in touch with the residential banker I use and she asked him to please give me a call. His first response basically said they have very limited interest in lending to individuals with no experience (he has no idea what my experience is) but he would talk to me if I insisted. Is this normal for banks which investors have been relationships with? I’m going to give him a call anyway but I was hoping for some advice as how to approach the situation. I thought local community banks where I have established relationships would be the best place to start but I’m wondering if that’s not the case? Where should I start? I have excellent income, great credit, good rent rolls and will have the down payment to move forward once I find the right apartment complex.

Loading replies...