Save positive cashflow or payoff mortgage faster?

Save positive cashflow or payoff mortgage faster?

Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 5 votes

Hey everyone, 

I'm under contract with my first 2 unit building here, closing within the next month or so.  After the deal is done, I should be positive cash flowing about $500/mo.  My question is, and curiosity to what other buy and hold investors are doing, is the following. 

Do I A) save that cashflow and let it accumulate to a point where I use that for a downpayment on another buy and hold property?  or B) at the end of the year, do I take that $6,000 in annual cashflow ($500x12 months), and apply that to the principal on the mortgage to pay down the loan as fast as possible.  

My overall goal is to build a rental portfolio where it 100% replaces my income and covers my families monthly expenses.  I own another business and our household monthly income comes from this primarily, I don't need the cashflow on a month to month basis for personal expenses.  

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I love the idea of getting the mortgages paid down as quick as possible, however, I don't want to put off acquiring additional rentals until each unit is paid off.  In the course of say 10 years, having 3 units free and clear OR within that 10 year time frame have say, 20 units with mortgages on all, but all are cash flowing.

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sask, Sk · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 25 votes
8y
I would do both if it was me. First I'd build up an emergency fund though. Then save half for the next purchase and put half down on the principle. Really depends how much risk you want to take on and how big you want to go.
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sask, Sk · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    I would do both if it was me. First I'd build up an emergency fund though. Then save half for the next purchase and put half down on the principle. Really depends how much risk you want to take on and how big you want to go.
  • Investor · Middle River, MD · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 127 votes
    8y
    Accumulate cash first. Emergency fund and money for good deals. The mortgages will pay themselves down on their own while you figure out what to do.
  • Investor · Middle River, MD · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 127 votes
    8y
    I love paying down debt too. But once you send the cash into a loan you can’t get it back quickly.
  • Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 545 posts · 614 votes
    8y
    @Kyle Davis If your business plan states that you will accumulate as many Buy-and-Hold properties as possible based on the cash flow model, I would just save the excess cash flow to acquire additional properties. If you choose to pay down mortgages, I would recommend one change to whay you've outlined, Instead of paying a one-time annual payment of $6,000 at year-end, I'd suggest making the $500 payment monthly, It will reduce your principle balance faster than if you were to make one payment at year-end.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Reinvest the cash. More properties, income fund, REIT ..basically anything that will earn additional income.

    Dead equity in a rental property is a financial sin. You only want to pay down a rental property mortgage when you have so much money that you simply need a place to park useless cash. Equity kills cash flow and is where money goes to die.

  • Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thank you all so much for the input, very helpful info.  Much appreciated!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.