Extreme Weather + Natural Catastrophe Risk Management

9 Replies

FACT: We have had 393 earthquakes in the San Francisco Bay Area in the last 12 months.

(Source: https://earthquaketrack.com/v/sf/recent).

Extreme weather like the recent hurricanes and flooding in Houston and Florida, the earthquakes in Las Angeles and Mexico City, and fires throughout Los Angeles, Washington and Oregon will get increasingly common according to new scientific research. 

As  someone who owns properties in five cities across three states, I’m thinking more and more about extreme weather and how to manage this risk.  

Do you have property in areas that have experience extreme weather? If so, please tell me about your experience.

Do you have any tips for the rest of us who have considered or currently owned properties in areas where extreme weather is likely? 

What did you learn? What would you do differently? Are you still buying in this area? Why or why not?

I was thinking about this very topic after the hurricanes and the wildfires. And ofcorse the Big One could strike any time. I assume the insurance costs would keep going up for anyone who doesnt want to sacrifice sleep. 

Here's a solution from zombie industry. Lol. 

zombie industry? I like that! Convertible structures.

Check this out:

Indestructible housing in Texas. I drove by this dome rental facility in Texas recently.

Originally posted by @Hersh M. :

I was thinking about this very topic after the hurricanes and the wildfires. And ofcorse the Big One could strike any time. I assume the insurance costs would keep going up for anyone who doesnt want to sacrifice sleep. 

I’m not sure if you’ll be around, but there’s a free local meeting on topic coming up on 11/20.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/506758-extreme-weather-natural-catastrophe-risk-management

Originally posted by @Hersh M. :

I think future housing in Houston that lie in flood plains should definitely be built on stilts (flooding) and less flat sides the better (hurricane/wind).

@Jon S. the inflatable damn is a great concept, but can only protect a for a few feet of flood height.  I think it was Sam Craven who had used a damn like this to protect a house as Harvey came to Houston, but water went over and flooded the house anyway.

Originally posted by @Tommy Hopkins :

@Jon S. the inflatable damn is a great concept, but can only protect a for a few feet of flood height.  I think it was Sam Craven who had used a damn like this to protect a house as Harvey came to Houston, but water went over and flooded the house anyway.

Bummer.  Wouldn't you think that there are damns made at different heights?  I would buy the one based on my property location and likeliness of specific water height.

Have any investors been through these experiences with their properties?

If so, are you still invested here? 

Did you sell? 

What did you learn?

How are you preparing for the next event? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here