How to account for oil heat costs

4 Replies

When considering a rental property (I'm looking at duplex) that has oil heating, do you account for the price of tank refills separately, or just consider it as part of normal maintenance/CapEx? If I move forward with this property, I won't really be able to individually bill my tenants for heat, can I? I don't suppose I can separate costs of oil heat the same way other utilities may be separately metered per unit. Thanks in advance.

Is there one tank or two? If there are two, it's easy to make them responsible for filling it and paying the oil company direct.
I haven't visited the property myself yet. I would assume only one tank.

If its forced air , its probably 2 tanks . if its a boiler its most likely one . As long as its 2 different heating plants ,it should be 2  tanks

@Jason Unrath What I would suggest because it was suggested to me. Contact the owner get the records for 2 years back on how much monthly they spent on oil. Calculate the average and add a little on top so you cover all of your expenses and maybe at the end make out with a little money on to of the rent. 

516-242-2365

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.