College Student Financing Real Estate Purchases

2 Replies

Hi Everyone,

So I've posted before about my first house purchase, which is currently a rental. I'd like to buy at least 1 house next year to live in and later turn to a rental, and possibly another rental. My current house after renovation I think should appraise for at least 50k, probably higher. It is completely paid for and cash flows about $550 a month or so. I'd rather not sell this house if I can use it to finance other purchases. I'm also heading into my last semester as a grad student (thought this may be relevant for financing). Planning to have a job lined up after graduating.

So my question is, what is the best way to take out financing on my current house, or is that even possible before getting a steady job for a few years? I thought maybe I could use a co-signer to help get the loan. The idea is to take out financing on this house for down payments on other rentals. Would it be best to go with a line of credit, home equity loan, or just standard mortgage?

Something else I thought I could do for a house to live in was an FHA loan, because I could probably come up with 3.5% down for the houses I'd be looking at buying in my area. The goal is to buy as many rental properties as I can get financing for. The first worked out very well and I'm pretty confident I can do the same with multiple properties.

Thanks for any response. 

It will probably be difficult to secure FHA financing until you have a bit of job history, but ask around some lenders have stricter rules than others.

That's sort of what I figured. Just didn't know if anyone else had similar experience or knew the best way of going about getting a loan given my situation. I guess I just need to start checking around with banks. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.