Will a busy street deter renters?

5 Replies

I am looking at making my first rental property purchase. It’s a nice SF 3 bed, 1.5 bath, great school district and fenced back yard. The house over all is in good shape and needs little repairs. My question is that it is on a busy road and how badly will that deter renters?

@Matt Tomes

It depends on if the potential tenants have younger children or not. But if you put it on the market and don't get anything at market rent, go a little under market.

Any place is good if at the right price. Look at your competition’s rents and consider you may have to be a bit below them to be competitive.

Check out a similar address/property (or the existing address on loopnet) they have traffic data. Should tell you how many cars pass by in the day.

Solid core doors
Sound blocking film
Sound blocking caulk around windows
Shrubs out front

Should be enough to combat that question when potential renters ask☺️

My current primary residence is on one of the main roads of a large neighborhood.  It helps that my hearing has "adapted" to a life of loud music and gunfire, but the road noise doesn't really bother me.  My plan is to have this property as a rental down the road, and I've never really considered the road as being a big disadvantage.  I view the traffic as good exposure to my rental signs when that time comes.  And while kids in the neighborhood do play in their front yards, my plan is to create an attractive back yard to entertain/play.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here