Investment areas in New Jersey / NYC

13 Replies

Hi All

New investor currently living / working in Manhattan. Looking for insight on potential towns to invest in that are reasonable commutes to NYC (midtown / downtown). Interested in a fixer upper / multifamily investment in an up-and-coming area. I look at the MLS daily but theres so much out there, looking to hone in on a few specific towns /areas ideal for a young married couple hoping to start a family soon. Any suggestions? Primarily looking in New Jersey, open to anything north/west of NYC.

Thanks for any feedback!

This post has been removed.

Look at Jersey City, NJ...Via PATH train, its a 15 minute commute to downtown WTC area and 25-30 minutes to Midtown, Penn Station area.  While Downtown Jersey City is expensive, Journal Square area is moderately priced and the Greenville area is lower-priced as it is challenging/up-and-coming.

@Mark McDonnell You should definitely have a look at Bayonne, in Regards to Jersey City Greenville section still has a long way to go, rather have a look at Bergen Lafayette,

Hudson county in NJ is a good place to explore: Jersey city, union city, weehawken, west new york/guttenberg, and north bergen. They are all very close to the city, via bus, ferry, or path trains. 

Among those cities, i think Jersey city is the biggest. it has three path stations and three ferry stations that connects to NYC. the prices and areas vary a lot in jersey city.  Union city and west new york are very smaller cities but very populated, from where you can get to the NYC through different bus lines. Weehawken and north bergen are more family oriented places and have a lot of nice houses. 

Good luck!

I know a lot of people from NYC that invest in the Philadelphia and Trenton area.  It is close enough to get to and you will get a lot more for your money,

Hudson and Bergen County to name a few in the NJ area

I’m focusing my efforts in Jersey City as well. Would be happy to share what I’m learning.

Hi @Mark McDonnell . We live in the Journal Square section of Jersey City and many people might disagree but I don't want to raise my future kids in that neighborhood at all. We live just fine house hacking there but I would look at the suburbs close to NJ Transit like Montclair or Bloomfield to house hack and raise a family. There's decently priced housing (depending on what you think is reasonable) that you can get with an FHA loan and house hack.

Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.