Sufficient size dumpster for gutting a house.

8 Replies

In considering buying our first house to rent or flip, we need help in figuring the best size for a roll-off.  Here's some information: 1400 sq.ft.' 3-2-2 on a concrete slab with 9' walls all on one floor. The ceilings are staying but the rest of the interior is being stripped to the studs. This includes everything in the kitchen, including appliances, all cabinets and counters. Both (small) full baths will be gutted. The garage is a trash heap with shelves and ceiling storage that goes also. All flooring will be taken out. This is in the Friendswoods/League City area of Texas and any suggestions for subcontractors would be appreciated. Regards, Phil G.

This is just a shot in the dark, but my biggest demo/trash removal renovation on a 1740 SF house used two 30 yard dumpsters. Not a gut on the whole house but a lot of "junk" had to come out, kitchen, bath, and some other demo. It sounds like you might end up with a similar amount of debris. Others might have a more accurate comprison.

You will probably go thru several of them.  Some companies only let you keep them for so long.  

Go with a 40 yard.  You are going to need a few of them.

Account Closed Go with a 40 yard dumpster.  However, I would recommend finding a trash out crew to do the entire project.  I have one that I use at it is much cheaper than having my crews handle trash out.  A good trash removal company will have their own trash trailer and small crew.  

@Brian Pulaski It's pretty trashed out. Current owner is somewhat of a hoarder due to his physical condition and it is pretty much trashed out. If I need two, time will tell. Thanks. (You live close to Pa. That's where I was born.)

@Jim Adrian I hope only one but from what others are saying I guess more. It'll depend on what the dry wall situation is.  One roll-off company charges $10.oo/day over the 10 day length of time.

@Ryan Kinsella and @Geoffrey Schnake Thanks.

@Rocky V. I guess between a 30 and 40 is what others say. Either way I may need a few. In reference to a Trash-out crew that does make sense. Thanks. What about the bad sheet rock? Is that normally  torn out and cleaned up by the rockers or are you saying hire some cheaper guys to gut it out and throw it in the dumpster before the dry wall crew gets there?

Thanks again to all.

Account Closed, I actually got a quote from a trash out crew on that particular job. They wouldn't complete any demo or remove any demo debris, just remove the "stuff" (clothes, furniture, junk, etc.). This would have saved me probably a dumpster and a half ($525 ea. so $785 or so). They wanted in the $3000-3500 range. It ended up taking me a few days by myself to do, but saving the couple thousand $$ was worth it. If I was smart I would have found a few $10-15/hr laborers that I trusted and had them do it. I learned that lesson and did this on later projects.

@Brian Pulaski I think I can find some laborers to do it. Thanks again.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here