How Much to Invest in Rehabbing an Existing Rental Property

3 Replies

Hi, I am new to re investing and the forum. I have a condo that I've owned for about twenty years. I've rented it to tenants for the last 16 years or so and right now I'm living in it.  I want to do some rehab work to it and put it back on the rental market in the summer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can determine how much I should invest in the rehab and how long I should expect to recoup my investment? I am assuming cash flow (from the rental) will be a part of the determining factors, correct? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Brent

It really hard to answer that give the limited information you provided.  In general I never rehab a rental to anything significantly better than the surrounding rental properties.  I also believe that good is good enough.  If I plan to rent its hard to see how you recover money from high end fixes.  

Sorry I cant be more specific but when you think about doing additional rehab consider how much extra rent will I collect for this added feature?  And then do the math to see if its a good return

Jeffrey Holst, Real Estate Agent in Tennessee (#343371)

Thank you Jeffery for the information. Assuming the numbers make sense, do you know how long is a general rule for time to recover the money invested (e.g., 2, 3, etc.)? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.