Getting water separately metered in Broward County, FL

5 Replies

Hi all,

I have two triplexes in Broward County (Pompano Beach), Florida.

I would love to get them separately metered and have the tenants billed for their own water usage.

I am not sure what this project should cost and was wondering if anyone has any experience, or knows someone who could help me with this.

Thanks

@Max Cohen I looked into this a few years back for my duplex in Ft Lauderdale. You have to call the city to install the meter. Ft Lauderdale wanted $1800 for a 1/2 inch meter and $2300 for a 3/4 inch meter. Then it’s your responsibility to pipe it in from the meter to the building. The problem with my property is the main water line going into the building splits off behind the interior walls and was going to cost a fortune to rip up walls to find out where it separates. It wasn’t worth the cost for me. Hope this helped a little. 

You don't see a lot of units with separate water meters in Pompano. Tenant aren't used to paying for it.  That said, you can always your own water meters for each meter and manually allocate the bill. Also, the meters come in handy when tracking down water consumption spikes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you