Investing in turn key properties

6 Replies

Hi Bigger Pockets family,

I wanted to get feedback from anyone who as has any experience with turn key properties. Please tell the pros and cons to help me make a more informed decision. Thank you!

Generally speaking, assuming the provider is a good one, you get a house that is all fixed-up and rented or ready to be rented, but you'll pay pretty much the retail price. 

@Jairo

@Jairo Rincon

Turn key is a good way to go for the busy investor that has a full time job and family and can't devote the time to finding a property, a contractor, property manager etc and managing a renovation, especially when investing out of state. Managing a rehab locally can be difficult enough but doing it remotely is much more risky and difficult. Also, you have to some construction knowledge. That doesn't mean you have to know how to swing a hammer but you better have a good understanding of construction techniques and language. If not, you're like blood in the water to sharks. Some contractors will take advantage of those that are not experienced. When working with a reputable turn key company, you are getting the knowledge and experience of an expert. 

As someone who started out my OOS investing in turnkey properties over 5 years ago:

PROS: ease of property purchase, can cash flow from day one, fully rehabbed with tenant in place, can finance the purchase with conventional 30 year fixed with 20-25% down, all in one team (shop); can do a full inspection before closing and hold company accountable to any issues that might arise.  Best for the busy investor who wants a fairly passive investment

CONS: likely to be at or close to market value, maybe even over (ie: no equity in deal other than downpayment); a lot of less than competent and/or trustworthy turnkey companies (like elsewhere in REI); need to hold for at least 5-10 years to recover investment on sale; deals today are particularly hard to come by with the best and most established companies

@Jairo Rincon i bought turnkeys to start but I lived in Seattle at the time and no where near cashflow markets. See you are in Texas. Why don’t you stay local?

Originally posted by @Jairo Rincon :

Hi Bigger Pockets family,

I wanted to get feedback from anyone who as has any experience with turn key properties. Please tell the pros and cons to help me make a more informed decision. Thank you!

Investing in Turnkeys can be great when you live in a market that is TOO hot. You want to look into the Midwest where prices are low but the rent is good. It is a place you can get a decent ROI.

I would suggest looking at

The Best Types of Markets for Profitable Turnkey Properties

and

What to Ask When Working With a Turnkey Provider

Thank you all for your feedback. @Lane Kawaoka I tend to move a lot due to my job. I'm expect to be moving to Nevada here in the near future so I don't want to get started in a market that I won't have much time in.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.