Accounting for fees in calculating returns?

2 Replies

I'm new to these forums, so apologies if this is the wrong section or a repeat (I'm betting on repeat).  

Short version: when calculating return on a mid- to long-term rental property what sorts of fees do you account for?

Long Version: I'm trying to work out very rough models of what sorts of returns I should expect so I can better shop for deals.  Say my starting situation is this: $50k down on a $200k single-family rental property, giving me a $150k mortgage.  After 5 years of break-even rental income, lets say the house is worth $230k and I now owe $135k on the mortgage.  Without accounting for any fees and such, this would show $50k turning into $95k.  BUT, that's in a magical world where I sell the house like I was selling a book at a garage sale.  

So if we pretend the above could happen... how much should I expect to lose at the purchase, and how much at the sale?  I assume the $200k house will actually cost me an extra percent or two in fees and closing costs (making the mortgage more like $154?).  Then at the sale end, I'll pay 6% to realtors, plus other fees and such, right?  So my math becomes:

Starting mortgage = 200,000 * (1 + <fee%>) - 50,000
Ending value = 230,000 * (1 - <fee%>) - <remaining mortgage>

If I expect 2% at the front end, and 8% at the back, this becomes a starting mortgage of $154k, final mortgage at about $140k, and a final result of turning that $50k into about $72k.  In my spreadsheet I'd have more exact math, I'm just simplifying for discussion sake.

So, you account for these fees when doing your projections?  What fees do you expect?  And I guess while I'm at it: Are there tricks for reducing these fees?

Thanks, 
Bill

I wish I could be more helpful but I dont really spend time worrying too much about those fees in my projections.  I wouldnt buy a break even cash flow property though.  

When we buy we know about what the closing costs etc will be but on deals of your size we would just assume a higher number for our projection ie 5K closing costs to buy and then usually just the 6-8% on the sale.  The key here though is if I had 50K to there is no way I would buy a house that breaks even.  Go find something that will give you at least a 12% cash on cash return which with 25% down leverage should be fairly easy, then you have an extra 6K a year to add in which will more than cover the fees you are worried about.  

Thanks for your input Jeffrey! I agree break-even isn't a great target, I was just trying to make my math easier. Though my study so far has suggested that I can either tilt towards a higher cash-on-cash return, but in a lower appreciation market, or a tilt towards appreciation.   I think I prefer the latter, as I'm focused on preparing retirement income, but this digresses towards an entire different topic :)

Regardless, this does answer my question. Both your advice and your math make it clear that even if I want a property that will appreciate well, I need good cash-on-cash return.  Losing 8% whenever I sell makes a purely "appreciation play" not nearly as valuable. 

Thanks again for the info, it's much appreciated,

-Bill

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here