Negotiating closing costs

2 Replies

Hi guys! My partner and I are about to close on our very first investment real estate deal. We had a quick question regarding closing costs. We initially estimated closing costs to be about $3000, but our lender came back with their initial estimate at double that, $6000. There are so many fees listed in the loan details... $200 here, $300 there. You know the drill. Anyways, wondering if anyone has had success with having lenders waive certain fees or reduce them, and how they went about doing that. ANY input is appreciated :) thanks BP community! Lauren

Lenders do at times have some flexibility to lower some of the fees but how much you will never know. It does not hurt to ask.  Not sure if you could do it now but depending on what you are buying the home for, figure out what 2% of the sale price is and then ask to raise your buy price by that much and then have the seller pay 2% towards your closing cost. That will save you some out of pocket cost and would barely do anything to your down payment. 

Curt Davis, Real Estate Agent in TN (#00321765)
605-310-7929

I work for a national lender and cover CA... there are a lot of different things you can do to lessen closing costs... I specialize in keeping as much out of pocket money out of my deals as possible... Send me a message would love to connect with you discuss options and maybe get you a better deal. 

Happy to give you some tips maybe cut you a better deal. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.