Rental Property Investment

4 Replies

Hi, I was analyzing a potential real estate property. The ROI is anywhere from 15-22% depending on how low I can get the purchase price. Cash flow is ~$350 a monthly but it doesn't meet the 2% rule (it's at 1.50%). So I wanted to ask how crucial is this rule and would you suggest looking at something else or does this still seem like a sound investment?

@Jay Helms  I was trying to assess if the 2% rule should be a mandatory criteria but it seems like not many properties are meeting 2% that still do well. 

Originally posted by @Lakshmi Nikitha Duggirala :

@Jay Helms I was trying to assess if the 2% rule should be a mandatory criteria but it seems like not many properties are meeting 2% that still do well. 

It is only a mandatory criteria if you make one. The choice is up to you. I have found that 2%+ properties are typically in the worst neighborhoods and 1%- properties are in better neighborhoods. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.