Rental Property Investment

4 Replies

Hi, I was analyzing a potential real estate property. The ROI is anywhere from 15-22% depending on how low I can get the purchase price. Cash flow is ~$350 a monthly but it doesn't meet the 2% rule (it's at 1.50%). So I wanted to ask how crucial is this rule and would you suggest looking at something else or does this still seem like a sound investment?

Not enough information to even offer any intelligent answer, but there's not too much real estate hitting a 2% rule (I prefer guideline, but anyway) these days except in war zones. 

@Lakshmi Nikitha Duggirala - is the 2% rule a must have requirement for your investing criteria? 

I use a tripod of investing criteria and the 1-2% rule is a quick napkin test I use to see if I want to analyze further. Personally I don’t fully analyze anything <1%. 

@Jay Helms  I was trying to assess if the 2% rule should be a mandatory criteria but it seems like not many properties are meeting 2% that still do well. 

Originally posted by @Lakshmi Nikitha Duggirala :

@Jay Helms I was trying to assess if the 2% rule should be a mandatory criteria but it seems like not many properties are meeting 2% that still do well. 

It is only a mandatory criteria if you make one. The choice is up to you. I have found that 2%+ properties are typically in the worst neighborhoods and 1%- properties are in better neighborhoods. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here