Criteria for Little Rock Arkansas

7 Replies

This question is for both flippers and buy and hold investors:

-What are your top 5 neighborhoods you prefer to buy in and why do you prefer those neighborhoods?

-What are the top 5 neighborhoods you AVOID buying in and why?

Inside the I 630 is the better parts of Little Rock. Some parts bellow the I 630 have good pockets.

Sherwood and North LR offer good value for money. Out west is good area but is expensive and unlikely to cashflow.

Jacksonville AR is mainly renters market and can offer reasonable returns if you buy in the right locations.

Can I ask What are you looking for?

Ps sorry if this was posted twice, the BP App is playing up....

It depends on what you are looking to do. I started in the 72204 area but am moving towards 72209. Within those, there are better and worse areas. 

I agree with Hadar though, WLR is nice but unlikely to cash flow. 

Haven't gotten into NLR yet, although I've looked there. I heard Sherwood is better as far as keeping crime down.

@Kari D. I wouldn't hang around Mabelvale Pike, but that's just me :-)  As @Hadar Orkibi mentions the western side is really a nice area.  if you Google "Chenal Valley" you'll get a sense for where that area is.  It's also very hard to cash-flow there but I'd posit is where the bulk of LR professionals want to live.  If you could find a fix/flip out there I'd imagine you'd have little trouble selling it, maybe tough to "buy it right" but selling wouldn't be an issue.  I'd guess you'll find the same thing with the whole area around the River Market.  It's a nice area but has already gone through a good deal of gentrification.  You can find older homes but, again, they won't be cheap.  When you hit the suburbs it's really a town-by-town scenario.  Jacksonville is different than Cabot, Cabot is different than Ward, Ward is different that Beebe, etc.  You start to get different mixers of commuters vs. air force vs. people that want a little land, etc.  It's really hard to sum it up too succinctly.

@Andrew B. I personally like Maumelle, maybe the best description for me there would be “pure suburb”.  I don’t know that it has an ecosystem it’s own.  You have some newer and really nice developments out near the river.  I doubt they’ll cash-flow but some stuff closer to the freeway would (last time I looked anyway).

@Andrew B. it depends what are you buying. most out there are single family. 

there are few MFR subdivision towards the North Little Rock area.

Some who live in Maumelle commute to Little Rock some would stay in the township. 

Over all depend on your criteria its reasonable place to invest. I would choose it over Jacksonville AR but not over Central Little Rock or west LR, as far as location. 

1% rule should be cultivable or near to it.

If you are patient, you can get 1% deals in Maumelle, WLR, and definitely Central LR.  Jacksonville is tempting because of the air base, but it's a sea of red on the Trulia crime map, so I've been hesitant to explore there.  We have been mainly flipping so far with a goal of adding 1%+ buy-and-holds in nicer areas of Central AR and recently kept a 1.25% deal in an older but nice area of Maumelle.   I'm having difficulty keeping my wife focused on flips since 1% deals are easier to find  than 70% Rule deals in the areas that we like.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here