Data/ Sources used for rental market analysis

3 Replies

I am curios to how the investors analyze rental markets as from how i see it there are little to no correlation between population growth and rental markets. A lot of cities here in Michigan seem like good rental markets. However, there is not enough data to show it . My biggest source to rely on when it comes to rental markets is people opinion rather than data, which is a great subjective indicator. What big indicators do you look for you are analyzing a rental market?

If you want to hold for the long term you need net population growth.  

Do you want SFRs? 2-4 units? 5+ MFRs?

Chris Silva, Real Estate Agent
(734)531-9073

@ Chris Silva I am looking for SFRs and Condos for now. 

I would agree and I think the data is biggest issue. Since you are a fellow Michigander you can understand my thought process. 

According to the data, Detroit and its suburbs has been having a decline in population in the last 60 years. However, rents in these areas have been increasing dramatically. So i think its maybe due to micro neighborhoods.  Where do you get the data to determine that ?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.