Data/ Sources used for rental market analysis

3 Replies

I am curios to how the investors analyze rental markets as from how i see it there are little to no correlation between population growth and rental markets. A lot of cities here in Michigan seem like good rental markets. However, there is not enough data to show it . My biggest source to rely on when it comes to rental markets is people opinion rather than data, which is a great subjective indicator. What big indicators do you look for you are analyzing a rental market?

If you want to hold for the long term you need net population growth.  

Do you want SFRs? 2-4 units? 5+ MFRs?

@ Chris Silva I am looking for SFRs and Condos for now. 

I would agree and I think the data is biggest issue. Since you are a fellow Michigander you can understand my thought process. 

According to the data, Detroit and its suburbs has been having a decline in population in the last 60 years. However, rents in these areas have been increasing dramatically. So i think its maybe due to micro neighborhoods.  Where do you get the data to determine that ?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here