Deed Transfer from Personal Name to LLC - Insurance???

2 Replies

I have a few properties in my personal name and carry a large umbrella for peace of mind. I am getting into commercial loans and plan to purchase inside of my LLC. If I wanted to move my other policies to my LLC will I need to change my insurance to commercial or another plan besides residential to protect the possibly of piercing the veil of my LLC should something happen?

Would anyone recommend keeping my personal umbrella as another layer of safety? I'm sure several of you have done this, a step by step would be great along with what to look out for.

Thanks!

Id still carry an umbrella on the LLC holdings, Some insurance companies aren't able to write for LLCs though so you definitely need to have this conversation with your agent. You may need to cancel policys and reissue at the very least when you transfer the property.

I think a personal umbrella is only slightly less necessary when holding in LLC. Piercing is rare but people often find other ways around it. For example they say you individually were negligent. Now if you never met your tenant and had a outside property management company and never personally inspected the property you would likely have a perfect defense to that claim but even then they could sue you and you would have legal fees etc to defend it.

Best of luck

From what it sounds like, you would just have one policy. You can reduce your personal umbrella, but I wouldn't get rid of it entirely.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here