Difference between HML, Equity Parter, and Private money

3 Replies

Hello,

I am a new to the game and I am trying to wrap my head around some of the terms I see used a lot on these forums. I would like to know the difference between hard money lenders, equity partners, and private money. To me, it sounds like these are very similar ways to receive money for deals without going the conventional route of getting a mortgage. Are the deals structured differently between the three, or what are the main differences?

Thanks

Braden

@Braden Schlabs

hard money is like a bank. High interest and high points with a lot of requirements and you have to front the cash and then be reimbursed usually. Private money is just high interest but usually covers purchase and rehab with first position of the title. Equity partners provide all the money and you do all the work and they take 50% usually. 

Originally posted by @Sean Carroll :

@Braden Schlabs

hard money is like a bank. High interest and high points with a lot of requirements and you have to front the cash and then be reimbursed usually. Private money is just high interest but usually covers purchase and rehab with first position of the title. Equity partners provide all the money and you do all the work and they take 50% usually. 

Thanks for the clarification. So if a prospective investor would like to get into real estate as a cash partner, what are the pros and cons of each method? In the explanation you gave above, it seems that it would be more secure to invest as private money lender as you can take back the property if they are unable to keep up with interest payments. What type of return does a typical private money lender receive? For someone who is considering becoming a cash partner and is relatively new to the world of real estate which would you say is the better route?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here