Looking to Invest in my Local Area

7 Replies

Hello, I'm looking for anyone that is looking to invest in the Mercer County area in New Jersey, more so in Trenton. Now while Trenton is the Capital city of New Jersey, it is also a part of the Urban Community. There are over 2,000 maybe more Vacant properties and lots, some owned by homeowners who either aren't motivated to sell a property or not able to, others are owned by banks & by the city, lets not discredit the crime that goes on in most areas. The city has hosted auctions to sell some of these properties to motivated buyers but based on a report i read the last few auctions there has been over 20 properties put up but noone buying them investing in them and i get why, its not that many that are devoting there time to want to invest in a city like this, for me im looking to become a real estate developer and i need to start somewhere to get my Real Estate venture going but am struggling to do so. I have a friend who is in real estate has been for 2 years now and shes looking to do rental properties out in Trenton, so maybe i go down that route with her to get started, i'm not sure. But as of right now im looking to work with any Real Estate Agents, Brokers, Hard money lenders, to learn from and see if any would be interested in investing out here not just Trenton but other Townships in Mercer County, let me know if your in the area or in New Jersey Period.

Account Closed you may consider moving to a market that has a lot of real estate development going on already instead a waiting on your local area to improve. It could be years or never. Places like Dallas, Denver, and Houston are building new homes and apartments trying to keep up with demand. People are migrating away from high tax / high crime areas for lower taxes and lower home prices. Once you make it big, you can go back to your area and buy up the county.

Originally posted by @Anthony Dooley :

@Duane G. you may consider moving to a market that has a lot of real estate development going on already instead a waiting on your local area to improve. It could be years or never. Places like Dallas, Denver, and Houston are building new homes and apartments trying to keep up with demand. People are migrating away from high tax / high crime areas for lower taxes and lower home prices. Once you make it big, you can go back to your area and buy up the county.

Haha yeah that's true, i venture out the area as well to more Suburban places that have more value then Trenton, for someone like me still tryna kick the door down and break through it leaves me no choice, as sad it is to admit but i have not much of a choice but to start where im living at. I feel as if i can build from the ground up then ill be able to get to the much more lavish places.

Originally posted by @David Weintraub :

I was in Trenton yesterday - it’s tricky

What’s driving Trenton?

I know what drives surrounding area but not the city of Trenton

With this city its not much drive, i would say its about 20 to 25% of anyone here that wants to see change but is anybody really that motivated and Educated to make that happen? Regardless of who the Mayor is, its people here & in other cities including parts of Philly, North Philly persay that rather keep the city down then bring it up which is why the drive isnt there for most of these people, there has to be change but in order for that change ppl within the city have to change how they live.

You guys should swing by our Trenton meetup we are launching May 23rd with Matt Faircloth.  I posted it on the BiggerPockets events page.  Should be a good crew of local investors that you can get valuable insight from.  

Originally posted by @Chad Gallagher :

You guys should swing by our Trenton meetup we are launching May 23rd with Matt Faircloth.  I posted it on the BiggerPockets events page.  Should be a good crew of local investors that you can get valuable insight from.  

Thanks for the info chad.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you