Agents making your own offers and commission strats

1 Reply

With other agents in GA what have you had a better success rate on making offers? Offering the listing agent a chance to represent you for double commission? Or just accepting no commission on your offer? I feel like on my offers it is not getting explained to the seller by the listing agent that they would not have to pay the usual 3% buyers commission. Even though we know agents are supposed to have the sellers best interests, I would assume some might push your offer a little harder with the double commission.
Originally posted by @Robert E Bogino :
With other agents in GA what have you had a better success rate on making offers?

Offering the listing agent a chance to represent you for double commission?

Or just accepting no commission on your offer?

I feel like on my offers it is not getting explained to the seller by the listing agent that they would not have to pay the usual 3% buyers commission. Even though we know agents are supposed to have the sellers best interests, I would assume some might push your offer a little harder with the double commission.

Here is what I tend to see, out in California:

• Full time real estate agent that invests in the side. Has a full time real estate agent buddy be their agent and get the commission. I can only assume they work something out post-settlement. I think they might be trying to make it non-obvious to the seller and listing agent that they are themselves an agent (even though a quick google search will reveal this fact, most homesellers don't google search the name of their buyer).
  • Real estate investor that happens to have their real estate agent license. They tend to either represent themselves, or let the listing agent double end it.

It seems that the full time agents, in my area at least, act as though there's some sort of stigma with being a real estate agent that is buying a home for themselves. I've never really drilled down on why this might be. But I know that full time agents often do all sorts of wonky / crazy / unusual / ill-advised stuff that has the potential to screw up the transaction when they personally buy/sell, or are representing close friends or family, so that might have something to do with it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you