Sell my primary or convert to a rental?

2 Replies

My plan for several years has been to buy owner occ propreties and convert them to rentals when I move to the next.   After finding BP i'm not sure that makes sense. 

I bought my newest home Sept 2017 with 3% down... paid for some repairs with cash for a total of $20k.  Sunk cost. 

Now it appears I could sell and net $30k or rent and MAYBE cash flow $50-100/mo.  That factors in no budgeting for capital expenditures. 

I want rentals and i know rents will go up so I hate the idea of selling... but am I looking at this wrong?

House was built in 2015 so it's fairly new.  I am in Portland and i'm learning it's hard to find propreties that cash flow nicely.  Thank you!

As a rental investment it is not worth the risk or work load based on you having negative cash flow unless you are in a high appreciation market and willing to gamble.

SFHs make for poor income property investments and are primarily a appreciation play. If you want cash flow you have to buy it in advance with your own cash by paying down the mortgage. Not really an investment more like a forced savings plan.

There is no logic in not wanting to sell a bad investment. I would definatly be selling.

If it will only produce $50-100 not accounting for cap-ex then it’s not going to cash flow. You probably don’t want to have $25k + or - tied up in a non-cashflowing rental. I’d recommend that you sell this and use the proceeds toward a property that you buy strictly as an investment where the numbers work or as a down payment on a house hack.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you